Can I disconnect the battery for SORNed 206cc?

Anything related to the 206CC
rafael.torner

Can I disconnect the battery for SORNed 206cc?

Post by rafael.torner »

Hi everyone,

I have a lovely 206cc, which is SORNed at the moment (can't afford the insurance for the next few months).

I've been trying to turn it on every few days, but if I forget, the battery will go flat within a week. I'd like to disconnect it for a few months so I don't have to be dealing with this, but I don't know if there is a correct procedure for doing this. I've looked at the forums but everything I can find is for disconnecting to then connect a new battery.

Thanks!

gazza82

Re: Can I disconnect the battery for SORNed 206cc?

Post by gazza82 »

Just take the negative earth cable off

But doors will have to be locked manually
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

I assume you want a procedure for disconnecting with the windows shut. There is none. The reason is that it is necessary to switch the sidelights on as a first step after reconnection, BEFORE opening a door. If this is not done, there is a possibility that the BSI software corrupts, with strange and unrepeatable consequences.

What you can do is connect a good quality charger to the battery without disconnecting it. Not possible if you park in the road, I appreciate, but if the car is SORNED it won't be on the road.

Slo

Post by Slo »

As gazza says above just pull the earth cable off,and DO NOT lock the doors with the remote before you disconnect it as the doors will deadlock.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

IanL

Post by IanL »

You can do that, but you will need a helper when you reconnect the battery, to sit in the car with the doors closed, and to switch the sidelights on before doing anything else.

By the way, why do people say to disconnect the negative? It's perfectly ok to disconnect the positive (and easier with the quick-disconnector). Just put a poly bag around the cable end, to prevent accidental reconnection.

To maintain the battery, it is a good idea to charge it up with a charger at the beginning of the storage period, to reduce the chance of calcification of the plates. Give it another charge before reconnection, and all should be well. If it's going to be disconnected for more than 3 months, charge it at least every three months.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

It's important to let the BSI go to sleep by following the correct procedure shown on this site
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I know the 206 has the quick release but the main reason to disconnect first/reconnect last the earth is a safety one. If you happen to touch the cars body with you spanner while tightening it not a lot happens. Put those amps through the live connector and a spanner to earth and you get a flash, often a massive bang and part of the body (and the spanner) will be missing. And on a modern it can take out expensive electronics too. It's just safer that way.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

I agree, on cars with a conventional clamp on the positive. However it does not apply to the 206cc, where no spanner is needed.

rafael.torner

Post by rafael.torner »

Hi everyone, thank you very much for the replies! Sign of a very good community!

Since I won't be able to leave the window open, and after checking Capncol's steps, is the following correct?

1. Turn off all gadgets, remove key from ignition and open the bonnet
2. Close all doors (should I lock with key before disconnecting the battery?)
3. Wait for three minutes for the BSI to enter Sleep mode
4. Disconnect the negative or the positive terminals of the battery (I see both options are OK, is this correct?)

To reconnect the battery:
1. Open the door with the key, and have someone step in
2. Close the door (should I lock it again before reconnect the battery?)
3. Reconnect the disconnected battery terminal (should I leave the bonnet open or close it before turning on?)
4. Turn on the side lights (first stage of the light switch, yeah?)
5. Turn engine on

Thanks again for your time!

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

2. NO. Lock with key after disconnecting battery.

2. NO. Just close it.

IanL

Post by IanL »

I believe your list is correct. Do not use the key to lock the doors before disconnection as it may apply deadlocking (unless you turn the key twice to the rear which "undeadlocks"), and you would not be able to open the doors prior to reconnection, so the helper could not get in, and you could not release the bonnet! Once the battery is disconnected, the deadlocking is inoperative, so there is no problem using the key.

Once the doors are opened, the bonnet released and the helper in the driver's seat, they do not need to be relocked before reconnection, just closed. It is the opening/closing and the locking /unlocking with the remote to which the BSI is sensitive. That's why the doors must be closed before disconnection and reconnection. Use of the remote would wake up the BSI.

The bonnet can remain open when the lights are switched on. Wait 10 sec after reconnection before switching on the lights. Do not put the key in the ignition before the lights are switched on.

Both disconnection options are ok electrically. Disconnecting the positive is just a lot easier, because you don't need tools.

rhume

Post by rhume »

If you disconnect the positive you can put the battery box cover back on with the lead outside it so it can't accidentally reconnect. Glad i read all this as I have been unwittingly playing Russian roulette with my BSI whilst fixing my radio and airbags :oops:

I would also take the battery out of the car and put it somewhere well ventilated and not too cold. You can then give it a charge before re-commissioning car. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find myself the owner of 2 silver Peugeots: 206cc Allure and a 4007 (7 seat 4x4)

IanL

Post by IanL »

rhume wrote:...I would also take the battery out of the car and put it somewhere well ventilated and not too cold. You can then give it a charge before re-commissioning car. :)
Good tip :thumbs:

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
Keep it stored somewhere cold like a basement floor. Bring it upstairs for several hours before charging it again for a few hours before returning it every three months.
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Spitfire6 wrote:Hi,
Keep it stored somewhere cold like a basement floor. Bring it upstairs for several hours before charging it again for a few hours before returning it every three months.
But don't put it directly on concrete. Put it on a piece of wood.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.