Wing Mirror Question

Anything related to the 206CC
Lady Python

Wing Mirror Question

Post by Lady Python »

Are the wing mirrors supposed to fold in? In the handbook it says they do but on the car can only adjust the mirrors. The knob won't turn 180 deg and I don't want to force it for obvious reasons. My car is the 2L SE, 52 plate. I'm curious :)

Capncol

Re: Wing Mirror Question

Post by Capncol »

You fold them manually
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Thank you Capncol. Just in the handbook it says can do it from inside. Probably a different model to mine :)

IanL

Post by IanL »

If you do try to fold them in, be gentle. Force them, and they can break. If they are reluctant, spray with silicone lubricant (e.g. GT85) and work them back and forth till they free off.

George 206cc

Post by George 206cc »

I broke my driver's side mirror the other day due to forcing it a bit and it becoming weaker and weaker over time.

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

George 206cc wrote:I broke my driver's side mirror the other day due to forcing it a bit and it becoming weaker and weaker over time.
I won't be trying it with mine. Noticed today the passenger's mirror has been glued at some time - looks like silicon glue or something like it. They're smallish mirrors anyway. Only folded the mirrors in my last car a couple of times when going through a very narrow space thanks to a lorry that was badly parked.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Also worth noting that the CC door mirrors are NOT the same as the hatchbacks ... the mounting plate is a different shape. So if you break one, it may not be that easy to track down another good one ..

The materials used don't help with a mix of metals which react with one another when they get wet and corrode.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

gazza82 wrote:Also worth noting that the CC door mirrors are NOT the same as the hatchbacks ... the mounting plate is a different shape. So if you break one, it may not be that easy to track down another good one ..

The materials used don't help with a mix of metals which react with one another when they get wet and corrode.
I'll try and be careful with the mirrors ;)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

It's everyone else that isn't .. my daughter's had two broken .. one hit by another car as it passed and the other folded back the wrong way in a car park .. luckily I was able to find a couple of good ones from breakers .. but many are damaged or stuck (I think our 'new' passenger one was stuck when it arrived but the important bit (the mirror and motor were ok).
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

George 206cc

Post by George 206cc »

When I eventually get round to getting a new mirror from eBay, I think I'll post it here so you helpful friendly lot can confirm it's the right one with me.

I found a few on eBay, one looked exactly right (orange plug, looked the same as mine when I took it off). Another, also advertised as the cc version must have been the hatchback version because, as you say, the mounting plate was a different shape!

IanL

Post by IanL »

I got a new "replacement" one from Eurocarparts. It was a special offer of (I think) 20% off, but they are now £75 on Ebay, and £109 on their website. Not the same as original, but indistinguishable from the real thing, and easier to fit.