Hello Everyone

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
Lady Python

Hello Everyone

Post by Lady Python »

Pleased to meet you all :)

Tomorrow I am buying my first Peugeot 206CC. In over 40 years of driving I have never had a convertible so hoping next summer is a good one.

If anyone's got any advice on what I should look for that would be really helpful and appreciated. The car has a 52 plate and has a long MOT with no advisories. I did have a 17 year old Vauxhall Corsa which failed it's last MOT miserably at the end of August so it's now rusting in peace in the great scrapyard in the sky.

I must admit I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

IanL

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by IanL »

Hi Lady P,

This may be obvious, but don't assume the roof works. Have the seller demonstrate a full open and close cycle.

Check no warning messages on the multifunction display in the middle of the dash. Check that the central locking works from the buttons on the keyfob(s).

Ask for the security card. If they haven't got it, ask for the security code (four digits) and the key code. Otherwise it's a good bargaining point - some Peugeot dealers will charge £100 for those.

If the wheels have locking bolts (most have), check the key is in the black box in the boot. If it's missing, insist the locking bolts are removed and replaced with standard bolts, or you won't be able to change a wheel.

If you are buying without a warranty, it's a good idea to get it checked by an independent mechanic, on a lift. Actually, do that anyway - some problems are too severe for adequate fixing within the warranty, or may be excluded. Don't rely on the MOT - it doesn't cover everything.

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Thanks for the tips especially the security card one. Never thought of that. This is one time I'm going to have to rely on my own judgement (over 40 years of running old bangers has taught me a fair bit) but I do have a friendly mechanic who will check it over for me - when I get it home - if I buy it. I think there is a warranty available but I'm sure that's extra cost and I've found over the years these are usually not worth the paper they're printed on. Case of my eye will be my merchant same as with the car I bought before - a Vauxhall Corsa I only intended to keep for one year and had for three till it failed it's MOT miserably last month. I'll let you know how I get on later today :)

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Now proud owner of my first 206CC - and I love it already :big-grin:

HUGE difference from my old Corsa C. Heavier in the steering but feels sure-footed. The Corsa for some reason always pulled to the left. I got used to it over time.

Drive back from Aldermaston (near Reading) was good. No nasty lights coming on and everything as it should be. The Corsa always had one of the EML lights on from the day I got it. A real change not to see a nagging light saying "take me to the garage" LOL.

Acceleration is very good - as I found out at a roundabout - nearly took off!

Only thing we couldn't try was the roof so had to take the dealer's word that it was working as it was chucking it down with heavy rain. Even if it didn't work, for what I've paid for this car, I think I've got a bargain.

She's black with black leather interior.

As I do with all my cars, I've named her. Her name is Becky - after the first two letters of her reg plate - BK.

I know...it's a girly thing :rotfl:

IanL

Post by IanL »

If you didn't get a copy of the owners guide (funny how so many are "lost" but there's plenty to buy on eBay), go to http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/APddb/, choose English, 206CC and the correct date bracket, and read all about it.

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

IanL wrote:If you didn't get a copy of the owners guide (funny how so many are "lost" but there's plenty to buy on eBay), go to choose English, 206CC and the correct date bracket, and read all about it.
Already done. Found one on the internet - free. Been studying it. Going to try out the computer gizmo tomorrow.

What I'm looking to get is front and rear dash cams but because of the folding roof, would have to mount a rear cam probably between the headrests of the back seats. Any idea which type would be suitable please?