almost there (i think)

All your roof problems here.
aja222

almost there (i think)

Post by aja222 »

hi all, long time lurker, 1st time to register as i think i'm almost there in fixing my cc's roof and need some guidance, its a 2004 1.6 semi auto allure, sorry for the long post but id rather get all the details down that seem pertinent

it all started after washing the car earlier this year, put the roof down (makes vacuuming the interior easier), turned the engine off (i always operate the roof with the engine running), started the car up when done, and got the dreaded triple tone (the same one that you get if you havn't put the luggage cover in when trying to open the roof) i closed it manually as per the instructions, then bled a little fluid from the rams, so i could close the boot cover without the constant triple tone....put some more fluid in, then all worked fine (or so i thought) roof went up and down, cycled a couple of times.

then i moved with the roof down and got the same triple tone, followed the same procedure to reset it, cycled the roof, all good again,

now this doesn't happen every time, and last time it happened it took a speed bump at the end of my commute to start the tone, but does seem to happen everytime i stop the engine with the roof down, (get above x mph and tone starts) roof wont close,

now i've always been certain its a sensor problem, and have continuity tested most of them open and closed (apart from the rear windows)but only this morning (5am start at work with mist on the windows) noticed that the rear demister isnt working, and surely that is down to one sensor, and although its a long winded post purely to see if anyone has other suggestions, my main question can the demister fault be attributed to one sensor? and which one?

aja222

Re: almost there (i think)

Post by aja222 »

finally got pp2000 working again.....forgot i had changed laptop since adding the bluetooth unit and was having the wincad error, solved with post #6 on www.peugeotforums dot com/forums/general-discussion-2/wincad-error-pp2000-help-please-20998/ cleared the 3 fault codes, but all could be due to me testing the switches, gonna wait to see what (if anything) comes back, though i did floor it over some speed bumps with the roof down without replicating the fault yesterday afternoon, and turned the engine off, still no fault (though i didnt leave enough time for the bsi to sleep)

IanL

Post by IanL »

If the problems are due to microswitches, I would suggest E and/or J for the movement problem, and possibly K for the demister.

See http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12945 for the letter references.

Alternatively, it could be wiring. There have been failures where the harness goes from fixed to moving structure.

aja222

Post by aja222 »

Well.....went to work this morning....demister working.......came home tonight with the roof down, no problems going back up, no beeping above x mph...and all i've done is clear the fault codes......this is gonna be one of those horrible, hard to find, intermittent faults, isn't it? i did fiddle with the two boot switches a while a go, adjusted one of them, it was just a little too tight for the latch to latch and operate the microswitch, but i still had problems after that..

aja222

Post by aja222 »

finally got the dreaded triple tone, fired up pp2000, got the following
Presence of fault:
-luggage space open switch; boot locked switch right and left ; roof open switch ; roof closed switch ; short circuit to positive

and given the intermittent nature of the fault think i'm probably looking at a wiring issue?

IanL

Post by IanL »

I'm not sure what they mean by short circuit to positive, but if all those switch lines report the same problem, it sounds like something common to all. Try checking the roof ECU earth at MC21.

Also, I'd be tempted to try cleaning all the connectors to the Roof ECU, plug and socket, with contact cleaning spray. Can't hurt.

Slo

Post by Slo »

That's the wrong diagram you want the one that shows the boot lid with the connector next to the left side hinge.

Short circuit to positive means that a signal is constantly passing through the switch, ie the switch isn't opening likewise short circuit to negative means it cant detect the switch closing.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

IanL

Post by IanL »

Slo wrote:That's the wrong diagram you want the one that shows the boot lid with the connector next to the left side hinge.
Are you saying that the earth for the roof ECU is not MC21? My SEDRE shows that it is.

The diagram of the open boot which shows the roof ECU does not show the earth point.

Slo

Post by Slo »

IanL wrote:Are you saying that the earth for the roof ECU is not MC21? My SEDRE shows that it is.

The diagram of the open boot which shows the roof ECU does not show the earth point.
No, i have no idea what you are on about there
aja222 wrote:Presence of fault:
-luggage space open switch; boot locked switch right and left ; roof open switch ; roof closed switch ; short circuit to positive
But these are all on the lid harness

And the ecu is a learning ecu and will remember every single fault it detects since the codes were cleared, so going round unplugging things then testing them will produce faults like this regardless of it being plugged back in again.

Try the large white connector by the nearside boot lid hinge see if there's any crap in it, the rear demister goes through it too.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

IanL

Post by IanL »

Slo wrote:
IanL wrote:Are you saying that the earth for the roof ECU is not MC21? My SEDRE shows that it is.

No, i have no idea what you are on about there
I was explaining that I had not posted the wrong diagram - I posted it to show the OP where the earth point is, as it is pretty well impossible to find unless you know where to look.

aja222

Post by aja222 »

Gave mc21 a loosen up, it is the earth point behind the boot lamp, isnt it?...seemed ok but gave it a quick sandpaper anyway, retightened, also a blast of contact cleaner in the two roof ecu plugs, the large white connector....is that the one below the hinge to the left of the roof ecu? gave that a quick blast too, back to the testing again (weather permitting)
Slo wrote: And the ecu is a learning ecu and will remember every single fault it detects since the codes were cleared, so going round unplugging things then testing them will produce faults like this regardless of it being plugged back in again.
I had already cleared the ecu of faults with pp2000 prior to the latest "incident"...so my testing of the switches with the multimeter wasnt the cause of any of the stored faults, the faults i gave were the ones causing the problem