Door cracking noise

Anything related to the 206CC
George 206cc

Door cracking noise

Post by George 206cc »

Hello

When I open the passenger door, it's quiet and normal and it sits into those 2 positions just fine. When I open the driver's door, it gives a loud click as it sits into the first position then another loud click as it sits into the second position. Closing the door is quiet and normal. (Been this way for the whole year I've owned it)

What's the problem likely to be? Is the strap(?) worn? Is there something I can just grease or will I have to replace a part? Will I need to remove the door?

Thanks!

IanL

Re: Door cracking noise

Post by IanL »

I suggest you try spray grease into the door strap aperture. I don't think you would need to remove the door to change the strap, but the chances are a bit of lubricant is all that is needed.

johnbrander

Post by johnbrander »

Also check the tightness of the fixing bolts

Rubyoptics

Post by Rubyoptics »

I had the exact same problem. Open the car door as wide as it will go. On the body you will see the hinges for the door as well as the sheathing for the electrical cables etc. Just above that there is the limit strap which stops the door from opening onto the car body itself. The screws holding this in place have a torx head, although i can't remember the exact size im afraid. Make sure that they are tight and that the serrated washer is in place behind the head. If this isn't clear, let me know and i'll take a couple of pics of exactly what i'm talking about for you.
2003 2.0. Dyno'd @ 134BHP. 2.5" full stainless exhaust system, lexus style rear lights, LED sidelights and interiors. Latest mod - Full stainless steel Group N gear linkages.

George 206cc

Post by George 206cc »

I sprayed a load of grease in there, didn't help. Then I went about making sure all the bolts were tight. The bolt with a torx head holding the strap to the body was tight. Then there's 2 nuts that hold the strap to the door, these felt fairly tight but not very. I decided to tighten them since I also saw this is what a lot of people on YouTube found to be the solution, and what happened? I sheared half the bolt off when tightening the nut down... Now guess what, the noise is even louder.

Any suggestions??

George 206cc

Post by George 206cc »

I'm thinking I should buy a new strap and fit that. I can't see how I would fit that though, not sure how to access that part of the inside of the door

Edit: just watched a YouTube video of someone doing it to a picasso by removing the door card/panel and the speaker and going in through there

Rubyoptics

Post by Rubyoptics »

If you haven't already carried out this repair, when you go to remove the door card, don't forget to remove the door handle surround otherwise it will go flying when yo go to remove the card. Also, when re-fitting refer back to the passenger door to ensure the top seats correctly in the weather strip.
2003 2.0. Dyno'd @ 134BHP. 2.5" full stainless exhaust system, lexus style rear lights, LED sidelights and interiors. Latest mod - Full stainless steel Group N gear linkages.

George 206cc

Post by George 206cc »

I haven't done it yet but it is on my to do list and will bear that in mind. Thank you!