Peugeot Planet 2000 - what to buy!

Anything related to the 206CC
George 206cc

Peugeot Planet 2000 - what to buy!

Post by George 206cc »

Hi everyone!

I've been searching a little while trying to read up on what sort of kit I need but it's all a bit confusing. Sorry if this has been answered before and I couldn't find it. Would really appreciate some help!

I'm looking to have myself set up with Peugeot Planet 2000 but I'm not sure what I need to buy.

The only kit I have so far is my personal laptop and an OBD-II cable (direct from laptop usb to the car).

On eBay, it looks like I can buy software "DIAGBOX 7.83 SOFTWARE-DOWNLOAD LEXIA 3 PEUGEOT PLANET-CITROEN DIAGNOSTIC PP2000"

What else do I need? Can I just install this on my laptop and then use my cable I have already and nothing more? Some places say "Lexia 3 interface required" or something like that, what's that? Is that something else I need to buy? Looks like more cables.

Would really appreciate it if someone can clarify this for me and help guide me as to what I need to buy.

Thank you in advance!

George

IanL

Re: Peugeot Planet 2000 - what to buy!

Post by IanL »

Your standard USB to OBD cable is of no use with Peugeot and Citroen. Instead, you need a cable and interface unit called Proxia (aka Lexia 3).

Most EBay offers of the Lexia 3 include the software. The disk usually includes both Peugeot Planet 2000 (which is for earlier cars) and Diagbox, which covers later models. You cannot install both on the same computer. Diagbox includes a Planet version, but some people have trouble using that with earlier cars. Others don't.

The software is 32-bit, and Planet cannot run on a 64-bit computer, although Diagbox can, in 32-bit mode. Some people say the Planet in Diagbox will not work that way, others dispute that.

Most people seem to be happy with using an old 32-bit WinXP SP3 laptop. There is no performance advantage in using a newer machine, as the software does not support multi-threading, so multi-core CPUs are essentially wasted on the software.

For my 206cc, I use a 64-bit Win10 laptop with a 32-bit XP SP3 virtual machine on it, into which Planet (stand-alone, not the Diagbox version) is installed. The VM is created by VMWare Player (free). It works perfectly.

The software often includes updates which you can install after the initial installation, though some people say not to bother if it works on your car without them. If the software offers an online update, refuse it, as it will not work unless you have login rights on the PSA servers, and will disable the software.

When installing, do not plug the Lexia into the PC's USB port until prompted by the installation program, or the drivers will not install properly.

George 206cc

Post by George 206cc »

Thanks for your reply, that's extremely helpful.

On eBay, "For Peugeot-Citroen PP2000 Lexia 3 OBD2 Diagnostic Interface Scan Tool Diagbox", this comes with the Lexia 3 interface, all the wires and the software.

About 40 quid. Is that a reasonable price to pay for this or should I keep looking?

It seems hard to find listings on eBay that are standalone Planet, they all seem to have both. Not sure if they're as you describe or not because many of these listings have interesting translations from Chinese to English :lol:

Something else I noticed, many listings are advertising "Full Chip, "Rev B", "Rev C", what are they talking about? Do I need a particular chip? Are some better than others?

Thanks for your help!

George

IanL

Post by IanL »

£40 is a good price, and it should be fine with a 206cc. The "Full Chip, "Rev B", "Rev C" are references to updates to Lexia hardware which are (or may be) required by newer models. You usually pay more for those, and opinions vary about their how essential they are. I only have a 206cc, so I can't speak from experience. The basic (i.e cheap) ones may state they cannot be upgraded (i.e. a firmware upgrade).

What you choose to buy should depend on whether you think you may want to work on newer models at some point. If so, I would go for Rev C and full chip to be on the safe side.

All the listings probably have the same software. It includes files for stand-alone Planet (filename something like Planet 2000) and for Diagbox. You just install which you want. You are unlikely to get any instructions, but there are many demos on YouTube.

George 206cc

Post by George 206cc »

Okay, sounds good. I'll go ahead and purchase it.

Thank you so much for your help!

Si206cc

Post by Si206cc »

Just looking for info on Planet Peugeot .
Did you get a set up and if so which would you recommend.
I want to reset the dpf info on a 206cc 1.6hdi but I am sure that I will find other uses.
I have cleaned the Dpf but the code is still showing as blocked which I guess is due to the need to reset in the ECU.
I’m new to this so hope my comments make sense !

IanL

Post by IanL »

Most people buy on eBay. My two replies above should answer your questions.

George 206cc

Post by George 206cc »

I bought something from eBay that follows the advice above. Spent about £40 on it. After about 3 attempts of getting it to work, I just couldn't manage it. Extremely frustrating. Heard a few other people struggling too. Maybe buy one if you're willing to accept the risk that you might not actually get it working.

IanL

Post by IanL »

What are the symptoms? I have done many installations, and, apart from the bit about not plugging the USB into the PC until prompted, I've had no issues.

Si206cc

Post by Si206cc »

Hope this is ok to tag my comments onto this post. I am looking for some help. I don’t really want to buy planet until i have seen it working. Is there anyone within reach of Cw9 postcode, northwich j19 m6 or Preston lancs who would be willing to hook up their set up to my car . Partly so I can see it working but also I need to reset after cleaning the dpf. I will happily contribute to the cost of your setup to get rid of the dpf full error. Thanks