Intermittent high rev

Anything related to the 206CC
callista

Intermittent high rev

Post by callista »

I have a 206cc automatic 2006 and lately it's been going through phases of revving high and the needle of the speedo isn't moving when that happens. I am not sure whether the car actually goes into limp mode or if it just doesn't get enough power to go. If I pull up, stop, turn the car off and back on, it seems to fix it. Any idea what could be going on? I am not sure what other details anyone would need. Thanks

IanL

Re: Intermittent high rev

Post by IanL »

It is probably one of the brake bands not gripping securely. It could be caused by dirt in a valve. Short of stripping the gearbox, a fluid change is all I can think of.

The instructions are here. Important you note:
IMPERATIVE : use only ESSO LT 71141 fluid

callista

Post by callista »

Thanks, I think I will have to have it looked at then

Rubyoptics

Post by Rubyoptics »

From your description, I gather that you are travelling along when this happens? I.e this isn't happening when idiling in neutral?
2003 2.0. Dyno'd @ 134BHP. 2.5" full stainless exhaust system, lexus style rear lights, LED sidelights and interiors. Latest mod - Full stainless steel Group N gear linkages.

callista

Post by callista »

Rubyoptics, yeah it happens as I first set off, within not even a mile, like down the road, then I pull up, turn the car off, start it again and it's fine again. It just did it again today. I'm wondering if it's going to be a costly job to fix, I might just part-ex it for something new, I've had this one for a few years now.

callista

Post by callista »

Hmm I asked the garage and the mechanic thinks it could be an electronic fault, because I can turn it back on and it starts and is fine. If it is a gear box problem, I will probably replace the car.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Worth checking fluid level first.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

callista

Post by callista »

Capncol, as it's an automatic it's a sealed unit isn't it? Or is there a way to check easily. I know nothing about mechanics, so I will have to have it checked at a garage if it's complicated, so I will have to find a garage that deals with auto gearboxes. The one I use for other things doesn't touch automatic transmissions.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Not sealed no. You can, and should, change the gearbox fluid after a set period (mileage or years). Even moderns that state 'for life'can be changed ... and should!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

The procedure for checking /changing the fluid is at http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-20 ... ci05k3.htm

Note:
IMPERATIVE : use only ESSO LT 71141 fluid