The End

Anything related to the 206CC
Artermis

The End

Post by Artermis »

Morning all,

Heavy hearts in the Francis househould this morning as my wife's 206cc, she'd named Foxy, met her end yesterday.

It was my wife's last commute yesterday before starting a new job locally in town today. On the 40 mile return leg, just over the humber bridge, she lost all drive, instantly.

I'd been out with my wife in the Peugeot over the weekend and we'd done a good 200 miles or so going out to buy some new sofas and the car never missed a beat, no hint of clutch slip or anything.

The RAC recovered the car to a lay-by where she currently rests. RAC diagnosed a clutch failure. We went to retrieve some valuables from her and we started her up to keep us warm whilst we fished out what we needed, which was mostly the stereo we'd fitted that I had to remove. The engine runs just fine but I could hear an obvious clatter which suggested to me the dual mass flywheel had failed in some manner. It was making a bad noise.

Regrettably given the value of the car vs the cost of the replacement parts it's a write off. It'll be off to the scrap yard as soon as we can find someone to take it.

I'd just filled the damn Eolys tank too, which cost a pretty penny!

Anyway. Just wanted to thank all the mods, contributors and forum members for your assistance over the time we've owned the car. It's a shame it's had to end the way it has but we had fun with it during our time.

Thanks everyone! Ben & Caroline
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

GrandadMonkey

Re: The End

Post by GrandadMonkey »

It's been good to have you with us for the past couple of years even though you've had trials and tribulations with the 206cc. All the best to you both.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Likewise
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

Cheers Ron, Col, Gazza.

Appreciate the link Gazza but it's not worth it I'm afraid. It may get resurrected yet but not by us.

We'd only been offered £300 trade in for it anyway, which is too close to the value of the parts to make it worth while. I certainly don't have the space, tools or skills required to change the clutch myself to make any saving on labour costs. Even if I had it all replaced by the time the labour is added on that is probably very close to the market value of the car, if not exceeding it.

So it's beyond economical repair at least for us.

The car only cost me £750 when I bought it, chiefly because the little old lady I bought it off had lost her service history folder, so it would never have been worth 'top dollar' without much in the way of history, although I'd got a whole heap of receipts for what I'd done.

Owning a car is never cheap or easy and some are luckier than others. Hell I've bought Alfas for under £400 and had them fly through an MOT the next week without so much as an advisory, at the same time as having 10s of thousands of pounds worth of Audi A8 that might as well have set fire to my wallet and run off with the girl next door. It is what it is and I'm by no means bitter or annoyed by the experience. It's a little frustrating just down to timing and location but not the end of the world!

Like I said, we enjoyed the car and it was definitely money well spent for the time we had. So much so that Caroline is considering a 307cc in the lovely golden / orange colour they do. That might have to wait a few months now though.

Thanks again gents!
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

In the current political climate I'd stick to petrol for the next car. I have a diesel Golf which I shall run into the ground but it's replacement will be petrol.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

IanL

Post by IanL »

Very wise. I frequent both Peugeot and Toyota boards, and I'm struck by the high proportion of engine problems being diesel. In the good old days (think 1960s diesel Land Rover) they were as reliable as sunrise, but with current-day anti-pollution gubbins (and more to come, no doubt) they come a poor second to petrol in the reliability stakes.

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

It's the emissions controlling gubbins they bolt to a modern diesel which seems to ruin them. EGR valves and DPFs seem to be the source of most nightmares. At the same time the kind of hybrid tech and fuel efficiency gains made in the motorsport industry and filtering down to road going petrols making the thermal efficiency and economy of them much improved.

As it happens I've bought an MG ZT (2.5 V6) and given the wife her old car, Fiat Stilo Abarth (2.4 5 cylinder) back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

IanL

Post by IanL »

Artermis wrote: As it happens I've bought an MG ZT (2.5 V6) ....
I always fancied one of those - let us know how it goes.

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

IanL wrote: I always fancied one of those - let us know how it goes.
I'm quite pleasantly surprised by it to be frank. It's obviously a 2002 car and it feels solid as a rock. There are no rattles, no knocking, banging or anything from it. It feels very solid and very well put together, with the exception of the cup holder on the dash, which is an utter farce haha

I paid just £1,000 for this particular car. It's got a Monogram paint job, which is a rare line of paint work options available which include all the flip paints and so on that MGs are known for. This particular colour is called Gulfstream, it's a sea grey (blue grey) which has a golden pearl to it, which is why it looks green in photos.

It's got heated leather electric memory seats, sat nav, tv, cruise control, roof mount dvd player from factory, xenon headlights, parking sensors. I can't believe the spec and what you get for your money.

She has a few little niggles, as you'd expect for a car her age. The heater matrix had blocked up and was only blowing cold air - not great at this time of year. It only cost me a £13 tub of coolant to fix that and it's now blowing nice and warm again.

The central locking also doesn't work but it seems the motor mech in the passenger door is dead, so I'm waiting on the part to arrive to fix that, which should sort the central locking. That's cost me £15 so can't really complain.

The other thing to address is the stupid K&N airfliter that it's got fitted. Not to my tastes or style and is incredibly un-subtle at more than about 50% throttle. It doesn't suit the car which I see as more of a gentlemans sports cruiser than a chavvy rice rocket Civic Type R sort of thing. So a replacement airbox is on the way with the door mech.

Otherwise everything seems to do as you'd expect.

The weirdest thing about it, oddly, is not having any traction control. The car doesn't seem to have it (although I think later models did). Being new to me and not quite having the muscle memory settings tweaked for this car I have set off a little bit more enthusiastically than intended on a couple of occasions.
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

IanL

Post by IanL »

Mmmmm....sounds lovely.

Rubyoptics

Post by Rubyoptics »

Sorry to hear about your troubles Artermis. By any chance do you still have the car or has it gone to the scrap yard already? If not, I might be interested in a couple of easily removable parts to help finance your MG wishlist!
2003 2.0. Dyno'd @ 134BHP. 2.5" full stainless exhaust system, lexus style rear lights, LED sidelights and interiors. Latest mod - Full stainless steel Group N gear linkages.