DISASTER - REPAIR OR SCRAP?

Anything related to the 206CC
jramsden1

DISASTER - REPAIR OR SCRAP?

Post by jramsden1 »

Hi all

Peugeot 206cc 2005 1.6 Allure (80k miles)

So was planning to do some DIY repairs to 'our' (girlfriend's) car, but have encountered even more problems so I don't think it's worth it! She bought the car 9 months ago and was desperate for a car so bought it whilst I was on holiday, and tbh she paid £1500 from a dodgy used car place, I reckon its value was around £750. (75k miles, some scratches, no service history, rust, etc.)

Anyway:

Previously known issues:
1. Horn. (DIY £10)
2. Washer Pump (DIY £10)
3. Tracking (£50 maybe)
4. Exhaust: All components heavily rusted and corroded, rear box has several holes in. Is there any easy way I could check if Cat is still okay without replacing rear box? No warning lights. (DIY maybe £100, or £250 if it needs a new Cat)

The new issues:

1. Clutch has suddenly gone. Think it's the release bearing, assume it would need to be opened up to tell if flywheel is damaged too? It's finding and holding gears okay, but got the burning smell and major vibrations on mainly clutch pedal but can feel it on car floor too (£350, much more if flywheel too.)
2. Pretty confident suspension needs serious repairs, you can feel every bump in the road, and even driving on a flat surface you're bouncing all over the place! (How long is a piece of string, say £200+)
3. Previous MOT had advisory on rear brake pads that will probably need some work. (£200+)
4. Just passed 80k on clock and with no service history, gotta do a Cambelt change. (£300)
5. Full service due now too! (And MOT.) (£150)

Total cost: £1400-2000

On first car, and want to learn more about them, tempted to buy a new car for £1500-2000 now I know much more about cars (couldn't even tell you 10 car makes a year ago) and can help gf choose one, maybe take an evenings car mechanics course and keep this one to practice on lol. She has added a few more dents to the car, so I'm not sure I wanna pay £1500 to fix the internals of something that looks bad externally. Maybe in time I will be able to do the service, cambelt and clutch myself and save a few hundred like that! Girlfriend wants to use one of these scrappage schemes and buy a brand new depreciating asset, sorry, car. :yikes:

I think my next step is probably to follow Capncol's previous advice and put it through the MOT just to find out what else is wrong with it and give me a better idea of what to do with it, although there are obvious problems with that now. Driving it with the clutch the way it is, is a nightmare but maybe doable. When it fails the MOT and there is a big list of MOT failures, plus them hearing the clutch screech, will they try and stop me driving the car back home?

What do you guys think? Any advice greatly appreciated!

IanL

Re: DISASTER - REPAIR OR SCRAP?

Post by IanL »

My instinct, bearing in mind the poor state of bodywork, etc, is not to throw good money after bad.

As far as a scrappage scheme goes, if she buys something with good reputation for value and reliability e.g. Kia and she is prepared to keep it for many years, it would be a reasonable thing to do. However, if she is inclined to change every couple of years, buying new (even with scrappage) is a mug's game, owing to the heavy depreciation on new vehicles.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

jramsden1 wrote:Hi all

Peugeot 206cc 2005 1.6 Allure (80k miles)

So was planning to do some DIY repairs to 'our' (girlfriend's) car, but have encountered even more problems so I don't think it's worth it! She bought the car 9 months ago and was desperate for a car so bought it whilst I was on holiday, and tbh she paid £1500 from a dodgy used car place, I reckon its value was around £750. (75k miles, some scratches, no service history, rust, etc.)

Anyway:

Previously known issues:
1. Horn. (DIY £10) Could be wiring or fuse
2. Washer Pump (DIY £10)
3. Tracking (£50 maybe) Would sort out suspension first (Tracking wont fail MOT BTW unless tyres are illegal) l
4. Exhaust: All components heavily rusted and corroded, rear box has several holes in. Is there any easy way I could check if Cat is still okay without replacing rear box? No warning lights. (DIY maybe £100, or £250 if it needs a new Cat) You would get antipollution fault, but MOT emission test would confirm

The new issues:

1. Clutch has suddenly gone. Think it's the release bearing, assume it would need to be opened up to tell if flywheel is damaged too? It's finding and holding gears okay, but got the burning smell and major vibrations on mainly clutch pedal but can feel it on car floor too (£350, much more if flywheel too.)Flywheel will be OK. New clutch and guide sleeve about £160 if you DIY, and it's a fairly easy job- just fiddly
2. Pretty confident suspension needs serious repairs, you can feel every bump in the road, and even driving on a flat surface you're bouncing all over the place! (How long is a piece of string, say £200+)Again, MOT would point out faulty components, Bad tracking can also cause this
3. Previous MOT had advisory on rear brake pads that will probably need some work. (£200+) More like £30 for pads and under £100 DIY discs and pads, more if calipers need work (I have a pair of good used ones)
4. Just passed 80k on clock and with no service history, gotta do a Cambelt change. (£300) Half that if you DIY ( I put a guide on here)
5. Full service due now too! (And MOT.) (£150)

Total cost: £1400-2000

On first car, and want to learn more about them, tempted to buy a new car for £1500-2000 now I know much more about cars (couldn't even tell you 10 car makes a year ago) and can help gf choose one, maybe take an evenings car mechanics course and keep this one to practice on lol. She has added a few more dents to the car, so I'm not sure I wanna pay £1500 to fix the internals of something that looks bad externally. Maybe in time I will be able to do the service, cambelt and clutch myself and save a few hundred like that! Girlfriend wants to use one of these scrappage schemes and buy a brand new depreciating asset, sorry, car. :yikes:

I think my next step is probably to follow Capncol's previous advice and put it through the MOT just to find out what else is wrong with it and give me a better idea of what to do with it, although there are obvious problems with that now. Driving it with the clutch the way it is, is a nightmare but maybe doable. When it fails the MOT and there is a big list of MOT failures, plus them hearing the clutch screech, will they try and stop me driving the car back home?

What do you guys think? Any advice greatly appreciated!
Some scrappage schemes have clauses such as min length of time you have owned car and MOT required can be another. Personally I wouldn't do it. No such thing as a free lunch!
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Your estimates are way out .. a new cat can cost you £50-100 if you do your research. Horn and washer pump off fleabay or from a breakers. Or add a Wanted on 206info.co.uk.

The last exhaust we got for the CC (which was a 2.0litre) was from online automotive https://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Peug ... ystem.aspx and they are quoting £51-£95 for your cat. What you will need to do it check which version of the exhaust you need as with all think French nothing is straight-forward. Depends on chassis number. Website is showing the complete system for about £160.

With out 2.0 we had no choice on the cat as it is part of the centre pipe and not separate like yours. Clever design! ... and I wasn't into cutting and welding.

Clutch was about £100 when we changed our .. same issue .. thrust bearing broke up. But I have a good relationship with my local garage and if I can get the parts cheaper, I buy them and then just pay them to fit it .. assuming I don't do it myself! ;) And they used to hate the sight of that green monster .. :yuck:
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

jramsden1

Post by jramsden1 »

Thanks for the replies guys. Think we'll end up keeping the car but will let you know.

Sorry some of the estimates were for garage repairs, as I don't reckon I could do a clutch/cambelt... yet! Thanks for the guides Capncol - if I do end up doing them myself I will make sure to use them! Anyone have the Haynes to the 1.6 2005 model? Is it worth getting?

Need to become friends with a decent local garage I think! Any experience of clickmechanic? Their prices and reviews seem reasonable.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Haynes messed up here as they didn't put tgat engine in the 206 manuals. The black cover 206 manual us good for everything but the engine ... which is in the 306 one IIRC. Might even be 207!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

It is in the 207, but the best manual is the Peugeot Service Box documentation and SEDRE. See this post.

jramsden1

Post by jramsden1 »

IanL wrote:It is in the 207, but the best manual is the Peugeot Service Box documentation and SEDRE. See this post.
Thanks for this IanL. Looks like you buy the full repair manual for your car year now, rather than a pay-per-view system (or I can't see that option) but that could be £20 very well spent.

Interestingly they only do it by year, i.e. I would buy the 2005 206cc repair manual. It doesn't specify whether it's the 1.6, the 1.6V, or the 2.0 engine. Maybe they're all included in the manual, or so similar it doesn't make much difference!

IanL

Post by IanL »

I think you missed this in the linked post, and clicked the blue rectangle?:

"You can get the whole thing, plus the SEDRE (interactive wiring diagrams), here for £9.99. Do not click the blue rectangles - they lead to the expensive stuff, but scroll down below them. You can choose any model, and you get the full databases for all the cars listed. The great thing is that, if you put the last eight digits of your VIN into the Service Box on startup, instead of selecting model and engine, the database only serves up the data relevant to your car."

To summarise, only pay £9.99 and you get all cars, all models, all years, all engines, etc.

jramsden1

Post by jramsden1 »

Ah, you're right I went through the blue rectangles. Found the £9.99 206 all models/engines manual now, thanks! Great tip!