MOT multiple fail. Exhaust, shocks & brakes any tips please

Anything related to the 206CC
mekatrig

MOT multiple fail. Exhaust, shocks & brakes any tips please

Post by mekatrig »

We've had the Pug off road and Sorned for most of the year, no faults when we did so it's just our schedule meant we only needed one car for a while and my big comfortable saloon is preferable to a go-kart :big-grin:

The wife decided she wanted her baby back on the road for the new year so down to the garage for an MOT Picked it up and shock horror. "Is yours the little convertible he said" tut-tutting and shaking his head. Never a good sign.

He listed the failures starting with a blown number plate bulb, then
Exhaust system not adequately supported.
Excessive wear in rear offside lower shock absorber bush.
Excessive play in front nearside suspension arm ball joint.
Rear parking brake efficiency below requirements.

Advisorys were, worn pitted rear brake discs and thin pads.
Leaky Exhaust from the clamp between rear silencer & middle pipe.

How much to sort it? "not worth it," he said, "probably about £600". :rotfl:
So its the new year for me spent under the car then.

The front suspension arm is not an issue, I had a look and it seems when I changed them a couple of years back I split the boot over the ball joint, so my bad and an easy fix (now I know what I am doing) I just have to be more careful this time.

If anyone has any tips on the following please
I'm going to change both rear shocks, the car has been a little rattly in the rear and I think it's about time I did so anyway. Anything I need to know or is it a straightforward swop over?

I'm going to change the rear discs and pads, I am hoping this solves the rear handbrake problem. If anyone has any info on any additional adjustments I need to make please let me know.

Replacing the Exhaust clamp, this is straightforward but what I cannot understand is the 'not supported properly'.
There is a heck of a lot of play in the exhaust I thought it was a broken bracket, but no, the rear box is only 3 years old and the supporting bracket is OK. The rubber bushes are firm and attached holding it to the pins under the car and the center pipe bush is intact and doing its job.
I'm thinking a new clamp might reduce play, but the whole thing is so wobbly it's ridiculous, is this the way it is designed or am I missing something?

Thanks all
Nov' 2004 206cc 1600. 5spd manual. 82600 miles (Jan 2018).
Wifes runabout & our summer fun car. Does about 5000 miles a year

Capncol

Re: MOT multiple fail. Exhaust, shocks & brakes any tips ple

Post by Capncol »

If anyone has any tips on the following please
I'm going to change both rear shocks, the car has been a little rattly in the rear and I think it's about time I did so anyway. Anything I need to know or is it a straightforward swop over? It's very straight forward. Take a look.

I'm going to change the rear discs and pads, I am hoping this solves the rear handbrake problem. If anyone has any info on any additional adjustments I need to make please let me know. The caliper may be seized or stiff on the handbrake mechanism

Replacing the Exhaust clamp, this is straightforward but what I cannot understand is the 'not supported properly'.
There is a heck of a lot of play in the exhaust I thought it was a broken bracket, but no, the rear box is only 3 years old and the supporting bracket is OK. The rubber bushes are firm and attached holding it to the pins under the car and the center pipe bush is intact and doing its job.
I'm thinking a new clamp might reduce play, but the whole thing is so wobbly it's ridiculous, is this the way it is designed or am I missing something? Shouldn't be excessively wobbly. Recheck the rubber hangers as these do split.

Thanks all
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

The stock exhaust rubbers go soft quick ... quicker now as rubber mixes are different due to various laws. Lost count of how many snapped especially on the rear box. I fitted poly hangers which were the only thing that stopped the exhaust floating around under the car at the slightest bump. Real pita to fit and needed a lot of copper grease as lube to get them to slide over the mounting pins.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

mekatrig

Post by mekatrig »

Thanks, guys.

I'm happy to hear there are no hidden snags (am I going to regret saying that?).
It was very windy where i am today but no rain so I changed the suspension arm.
If it's dry again tomorrow I'll do the shocks and brakes, I will check the calipers while doing them.
I am looking at hanger options for the exhaust, poly sounds like the answer.

When we bought the thing I did wonder why the previous owner had made a cradle for the back box with coat hangers!

mekatrig

Post by mekatrig »

Did all the work, apart from the usual banged fingers everything went OK.
The brake calipers were OK, the exhaust mount needed a bit of persuasion.
Sailed through the MOT.
5 months down the road and all is still well, the exhaust is still nice and tight and I have a spare mount just in case the new one splits.

Now cruising with the roof down enjoying the sunshine.

Apart from the rattle that has now appeared in the boot (it couldn't last could it), all is OK.

The rattle I can sort another day and I can't even hear it with the roof down

Thanks for the tips guys.

IanL

Post by IanL »

gazza82 wrote:…. I fitted poly hangers which were the only thing that stopped the exhaust floating around under the car at the slightest bump. Real pita to fit and needed a lot of copper grease as lube to get them to slide over the mounting pins.
Looks like I've the same problem.

Can you supply a link to the poly hangars please?

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Powerflex ... got mine through ebay
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo