Rear fog lamp as extra brake lamp,

Bodykits, alloy bits'n'pieces etc etc
Spitfire6

Rear fog lamp as extra brake lamp,

Post by Spitfire6 »

fog brake light.JPG
Hi,
I plan on adding the rear fog lamp to the brake lamps.

I haven't looked yet, but will I find the two wires I need to connect together in the boot? They are both black according to the diagram; Will they have numbers on them?

Cheers,
Iain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.

Capncol

Re: Rear fog lamp as extra brake lamp,

Post by Capncol »

It's illegal Iain, but it's up to you.
I think it's too low to be any use in any case. When you are following close, it will be below your line of visibility (which is why you have high level brake lights) You may also have trouble with the bulb failure circuits, or Can bus system.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Capncol wrote:It's illegal Iain, but it's up to you.
I think it's too low to be any use in any case. When you are following close, it will be below your line of visibility (which is why you have high level brake lights) You may also have trouble with the bulb failure circuits, or Can bus system.
Hi Col,
I certainly would not want to void my insurance, but after reviewing
"Requirements relating to obligatory stop lamps and to optional stop lamps to the extent specified in part ii"
Can see no reason why it would be? Does appear the OEM to brake light would?? To be honest it needs a greater read, but it is certainly not clear as only watts a specified and not lumens..

I thought I was CanBus yet my LED brake,tail and reverse lights which are quality are certainly draw less than 5 Watts or 20 watts. No Apparent errors. Fitting LED indicators to rear once I get round to fitting a pair of resistors to pull the same current a incandescent and fix flashing speed last time i tried.

Not worried about people behind me at the moment as I use the fitted handbrake when I am stationary, unlike most others who use the foot-brake.
It's more of "I am slowing down" announcement to people behind me

I have done this to a few modern cars I have owned with no problems & just wanted to know where to easy find the wires.

BUT, I am very interested in why it would be illegal on a 206? As, I plan on putting the solution on here.

Cheers,
Iain.
G6SBH.

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
I must add;
The rear fog light would act as normal!
G6SBH.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Rear brake lights have to be at a minimum height ... fog light position is too low for regs.

If ypu want brighter brake lights fit Phase 2 units and poss the led high brake light.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

It contravenes C&U as Gazza has said but also the Type approval is type "F" for fog light (you should also be able to find "F" embossed on the lens)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi & Happy new year to the pair of you,
I have looked at the "law" & it's too much of a read and based on your recommendations I will not be doing the mod. Cheers!
As a additional, I run LED rear stop and tail lights and far brighter than OEM & much less than the maximum of 35 watts.

Concerning stop and tail lights; I have fitted the brightest available. With the greatest difference/contrast between tail and Stop.
Spent over 100 quid buying from the UK and outside to find the best. It was for my Other Car, but fitting size the same in the 206CC. A lot of junk being sold in the UK with lies or kak relating to brightness! This for another thread if enough people are interested.

Sorry to anyone else that came to this thread for my misguided topic.

Cheers,
Iain.
G6SBH.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

The nice gentlemen and ladies of the various police forces around the country love an easy way to top up their Christmas party fund ... ;-)
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Be interested in your findings for LED headlights if you have time
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)