Another Key Fob Question - Spare key

All your other probs if any.
GazWaz

Another Key Fob Question - Spare key

Post by GazWaz »

Good afternoon all,

We've had our 55 plate 206cc 1.6 for about 7 Months now and it's a little gem so far. We bought it for the missus to keep the mileage down on our other lease car but I'm using the cc more than she is because I love driving it.

I went to fill it up with fuel Monday just gone and noticed the petrol cap lock is really warn and I struggled to unlock it. I've ordered and new mechanism for the cap so we'll just have a different key for filling up. It did get me thinking though that I had to use some force on the key to unlock it and if the key snapped I'd be relying on my spare that came with the car which, until yesterday, I hadn't tried.

Anyway, long story short, the spare key unlocks and locks the car with the buttons but won't start the car. The car turns over but just won't start. I would have thought that the fact that it unlocks the car remotely would indicate that it's also disarming the immobilizer etc.

Any ideas anyone.

Much appreciated

Gary

gazza82

Re: Another Key Fob Question - Spare key

Post by gazza82 »

Immobilizer chip is separate from remote unlocking circuit .. it's a small almost rectangular grey chip in the fob and they have a habit of dropping out .. or, like someone on one forum, getting thrown in the bin with the old key case when the case was replaced!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

justme1972

Post by justme1972 »

If the chip in the key has fell out would the car still turn over at all.....also would it put the message on the dash about immobilizer fault

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Yes, would still crank
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

justme1972

Post by justme1972 »

iv opened the key up and the chip is still in it so that rules that one out lol.
but even if the chip has gone down in the key would it say on the dash immobilizer fault.

IanL

Post by IanL »

It sounds like the BSI (electronic brain) has "forgotten" that key. It requires Peugeot Planet 2000 (software running on a PC with a special interface) to re-learn the key, and both keys must be included in the procedure.

It can be done by a Peugeot dealer, or by anyone who has the equipment (see here).

justme1972

Post by justme1972 »

Do you know if anyone covers the tamworth area please. B77 post code and if so could they send me a pm please.

IanL

Post by IanL »

I suggest you join the Peugeotforums site and ask there.

I forgot to say that you also need the four digit security code which should come on a plastic card with the car. If you don't have that, you will need to get it from a Peugeot dealer or a car locksmith. You used to be able to get it online, but that seems to have stopped.