Changing an inner tie rod without THE tool

Anything related to the 206CC
206ccEast

Changing an inner tie rod without THE tool

Post by 206ccEast »

Im about to change an inner tie rod, the part that is connected to the car and not the wheel.
I saw a tutorial on it and it said something about a special tool, for getting the tie rod unfastened.
The guy mumbled something about it being possible to do this without the special tool on some cars..

Can it be done without it? Im in a pinch and need to get this car on the road by 8am tomorrow. :hmm:
206 cc, '02, 1.6 - changes color as often as my wife changes her mind.

gazza82

Re: Changing an inner tie rod without THE tool

Post by gazza82 »

You mean on the end of the steering rack???
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

206ccEast

Post by 206ccEast »

Im danish, so the technical terms is a bit difficult for me. :big-grin:

Its the rod that controls the toe.. And it could be done. 8)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

So have you changed it? There are plenty of youtube videos and websites suggesting how it can be done although the location is going to make it pretty difficult. eg https://www.wikihow.com/Replace-Tie-Rod-Ends
inner-tie-rod.jpg
My Haynes manual suggests a special tool but possibly not for the tie-rod but the track-rod end (the ball joint on the end that connects to the steering arm)

The reason I ask is I've seem a lot if parts misnamed .. especially when you look for them on certain "sales" sites ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

206ccEast

Post by 206ccEast »

Yes, that's the thingy! It was fairly easy to do, but I can see where you could run into problems, depending on how large the tools you are using are. I got it with - again I don't know the right word in english:
papegøjetang.jpg
There's not alot of space available, but it can be done without specialtools and without destroying everything. :big-grin: The ball-end I got off with a spare bolt and a rubberhammer.. :o I know, not the most beautiful sight, but it worked and the threads didn't take any damage.

I know about the 'wrong name' issue. Every part shop in Denmark label their goods with different names.. Really helpful for amateurs :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IanL

Post by IanL »

206ccEast wrote: I got it with - again I don't know the right word in english:

Most people seem to call it a wrench, or a pipe wrench.

206ccEast

Post by 206ccEast »

Oh.. I thought that just was the generel term.. Thanks! :thumbs: