Speedometer slow

Anything related to the 206CC
XxshortstuffXx

Speedometer slow

Post by XxshortstuffXx »

Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me please, I'm new to the 206 cc, I upgraded from an mx-5, I love my car however. .after getting stroppy being stuck behind drivers all week constantly doing 10mph under the speed limit I realised it me!

Sinse paying more attention to the speedometer I'm am driving 10mph faster than the speedo states. When I'm not moving the needle falls way past the 10 mark and I'm in 2nd gear before the needle gets to 10mph...

I came here to you guys first before I went to a garage and fobbed off with a costly load of rubbish. Why do some garages do that to females?

I can't tell you too much as I don't know much, it's a 206cc 2.0 on an 03 plate, 68,570 on the clock. Tyres are 205/45/16 extra load?

Does anyone have any ideas please? Not too technical please, I am a woman driver with limited knowledge :(

gazza82

Re: Speedometer slow

Post by gazza82 »

Sound like the needle has moved, and need to be reset in the speedo. Means dismantling the dash though!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

The needles of the instruments are supposed to be self-aligning, but they can occasionally get out of sync. The cure is to remove the "glass" and push the needle round with your finger till it aligns again. I have not had to do this, but I read that it is not too difficult, once the speedo unit is out of the car.

To remove, release the steering wheel height adjuster and lower the wheel fully. Unclip the shroud, starting at the bottom. Remove the single retaining screw and the assembly can be withdrawn, disconnecting the wiring connectors as it emerges. The plastic glass then unclips from the front.

However, this is not a greasy fingers job, so be careful who you entrust it to.

XxshortstuffXx

Post by XxshortstuffXx »

Thank you both or this.
Breathing a sigh of relief that it wasn't an expencive job.
Im sure I csn find someone to fix that for me. Thank you both again.

IanL

Post by IanL »

You're welcome. Actually, I wonder whether the "glass" can be unclipped after removing the shroud, without taking the instrument pack out of the dash. Worth a look.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I've heard the tool of choice to realign the needle is ..... a small fork! (The eating kind, not garden!)

I bet there is something on 206info.co.uk .. might have a look if I get a chance.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

XxshortstuffXx

Post by XxshortstuffXx »

Thank you Ianl, my neighbour always does up cars, he's an OK bloke I'll see if he can fix it. Thanks again

XxshortstuffXx

Post by XxshortstuffXx »

Thank you Gazza I'll have a look.