Starting issue

Electrical 206CC problems
Powellct

Starting issue

Post by Powellct »

I've been through on a search and tried most of the things suggested.
Had a starting issue which j put down to battery drain from "something". The only thing I could find suspect was the boot space light so I disconnected that - I should point out all the problems smacked of a bad cell in the battery as it would bump OK. That didn't sort it.
£54 at Euros yesterday for an 027 seemed to sort it, until tonight - click on turn of key, click, click, catch. I've just been through and checked all the earth straps, but without a regular fault to find its a bugger to diagnose. Charging 14.3v. Wife had no issue this morning or evening after work.
Comments?
2001 SWB Transit
2012 Fiesta
2004 1.6 206cc.

gazza82

Re: Starting issue

Post by gazza82 »

027 battery may not be the right one .. the CC needs a 190mm high battery, the hatchbacks have a lower one. It could be pulling on the cables.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Powellct

Post by Powellct »

Its definitely the right battery - did a lot of research on here and it fits perfectly at 190mm tall. I'm thinking either an intermittent relay fault, or the starter solenoid, which would be a pain. Is the only earth strap the one that goes battery > gearbox > chassis (under the battery) or us there a supplementary one? It only happened yesterday so I've not had a chance to get it on the drive up ramps.
2001 SWB Transit
2012 Fiesta
2004 1.6 206cc.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

OK. It's just I know Euros and Halfords have sold the wrong ones in the past .. they list the hatchback battery as the CC one ...

As for the earth cable, yes I think it is just one piece.
negative_battery_lead.jpg
Sign up for ServiceBox .. it's the Peugeot/Citroen on-line parts system http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com and looking at parts is free (other sections aren't). Always useful for the parts breakdown images. (See above. If you use your VIN Number, it only lists the relevant parts)

Do you still have the naff quick-release terminal on the live battery cable? (Typical French, fitting it to the WRONG lead .. you want to flick the negative off first!). That might be working loose.

I had a work colleague with a 206 and that would fail to start regularly. Turned out that was coming loose. So we wrapped the battery terminal with a thin strip of spamspam foil ... and clamped over that. She kept the car two more years with no more issues and sold it like that!! (She'd been charged for a new battery
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Powellct

Post by Powellct »

Hmm, the earth lead is all sound. Yes, still have the "connected-to-the-wrong-terminal" fitting (I was 20-odd years in the trade, so I know what you mean). I don't "think" its the quick release, as nothing else drops out - which makes me think along the solenoid route. That said, Mrs P has used it today with no issues..... Bloody French..... :D
2001 SWB Transit
2012 Fiesta
2004 1.6 206cc.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

2004 car 1.6 Common problem

You need a new starter motor.

http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16511

http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic ... 23&t=15249

Let us know how you get on.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Powellct

Post by Powellct »

Yeesh. Are they serviceable or is it not worth the grief and go for an exchange unit?
2001 SWB Transit
2012 Fiesta
2004 1.6 206cc.

Powellct

Post by Powellct »

... And thanks Ron :thumbs:
2001 SWB Transit
2012 Fiesta
2004 1.6 206cc.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

I've done both. A good reconditioner will want your unit for a while which means some time with your car unuseable in the meantime - plus all the running about. These days I tend to buy a recon unit and take the old one back if they charge a refundable surcharge.

Pros & cons: If you get your own unit reconditioned the terminals should all be identical when you come to refit it. If you buy another recon unit I have known the terminals can be slightly different which can be a pain.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Powellct

Post by Powellct »

Yes, I see Euros list three differnce types. I don't think there's much wrong with the motor per se, I may whip it off ( :big-grin: ) and see what I can do with it. It's my fun car, so I can afford to have it off the road. That said, it's been behaving itself..... :facepalm:
2001 SWB Transit
2012 Fiesta
2004 1.6 206cc.

yelpir

Post by yelpir »

It's been a while but did changing the starter motor fix the problem? My car is having the same problem.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Starters are prone to fail on these. Usually shows up as hot start issue
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Powellct

Post by Powellct »

How spooky, I've just come back to this as - I'm having a hot start issue. The battery fixed the original sluggish turn/no start, but twice now the buggers let me down, once at the chippy, and once at the tip (bump start down the hill, thanks).
It'll definitely be the starter?? :scratch:
2001 SWB Transit
2012 Fiesta
2004 1.6 206cc.

Powellct

Post by Powellct »

Ignore me, i've just read through the rest of the thread. I've been that work busy I didn't do anything with it, and as it cold starts fine completely forgot. Cold fingers for me at some point in the next couple of weeks....
2001 SWB Transit
2012 Fiesta
2004 1.6 206cc.

Powellct

Post by Powellct »

Sorry for revisiting old ground, but always worth sharing an experience. First off, after 20-odd years in the trade, I've done worse jobs. Secondly, after 17-odd years out of the trade, you would think I'd have known better than to leave the starter hanging by the signal wire. Note to all: getting a replacement crimp eye connection on the cable is actually worse than changing the starter.
Battery out (no apologies - READ THE PROCEDURE), battery box out, filter to throttle body off. 3 set screws, top one goes the other way (from the gearbox side, not the starter flange side). Spend an hour at Euros finding the right part number, order online because they won't do the discount at the counter (WTF!). Do be aware the location dowel doesn't necessarily locate the starter - with no flange ring you can spend about half an hour wondering why the screw won't catch, before you give up and actually go and get a lead light and realise you're about 5° out....
Worst bit was refitting the power, still not entirely comfortable about how tight the main lead is, but unwilling to wind it up for fear of pulling the stud out of the solenoid.
Refit all the bits, noting connection procedure, then Italian tune up the A41, remember how much fun it is, look forward to summer, job done ;-)
2001 SWB Transit
2012 Fiesta
2004 1.6 206cc.