Crossbeam for jacking?

Anything related to the 206CC
SAnt

Crossbeam for jacking?

Post by SAnt »

Hi all,

According to this page, it recommends using a crossbeam when jacking up the car when placing onto axel stands.

http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-20 ... ak0vk3.htm

I've tried searching and I can't seem to find one to buy anywhere. Guess I need to improve my googling skills. Any help greatly appreciated.
2002 206cc 2.0 Manual

gazza82

Re: Crossbeam for jacking?

Post by gazza82 »

Look at MachineMart
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

SAnt

Post by SAnt »

Can't seem to find anything. Perhaps just a galvanised steel U channel (as attachment) would do?

I think a 1m length should be adequate enough, but my concern is the thickness. If it's too thin won't it buckle and create damage?

Aaarrrgg, why isn't there more rear jacking positions so that axle stands can be put on the sill jacking points? Or have I missed something obvious?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 206cc 2.0 Manual

IanL

Post by IanL »

How about a length of wooden beam (say 75mm x 75mm), slotted to take the downwards-pointing "fin"?

Shouldn't cost too much.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Sorry, thought you meant something like this ..

Not cheap but might work, more useful and possibly safer than wood?

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Cross-Beam ... 0wodtI8B9A
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

That concentrates the load at the two pads, whereas a slotted beam spreads the load along the whole length. Wood is plenty strong provided there's enough of it, and it will not harm the paint/underseal where it is in contact. And it's cheap - a decent timber merchant could do a couple for less than a fiver, and could slot it with a router, for a bit extra.

Also, the idea is that the load should be borne on the steel either side of the "fin", not on the edge of the fin.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I'd still be reluctant to use the sill at all .... but then I maybe have had too many rusty cars in my time!

Slo

Post by Slo »

Wood gets my vote every time as the cars sill edge will bite into it rendering it impossible (almost) to move about and slip out from under it. The bottom edge of the sill on the cc is pretty hefty if you are worried about using this to jack the car up because it looks flaky its probably about time you got a different car or a new sill :facepalm:
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual