Frozen north newbie.

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
SkyeCC

Frozen north newbie.

Post by SkyeCC »

Hello from the frozen north.

Recently took possession of a 04' 1.6 Allure CC, with a reasonable service history and full yr MOT, and then joined this wonderful forum.

Not being one for small cars especially French ones (put off from a younger age), I thought my SWMBO would like it, which she does, I prefer the large estate version's of a certain Swedish manufacturer, due to their longevity & build quality. Having said that I am pleasantly surprised with this wee thing, handles very well and sticks to the road too, very comfy seats also a bonus, although somewhat plasticy inside.

Roof works well, although needs a little press down on the front corner drive side boot lid to stop the sing song and complete open/close cycle, had a brief look and tried adjusting the striker plate to get it to lock off the micro-switch, but needs further adjustment, or perhaps even adjusting the cable may help. Will play more when i get some dry weather. Also greased the rear quarter windows as they were a tad slow on open/close cycle, much better now I may add.
Next on my list is a decent service oil/filter/air/plugs, then start on some of the rust patches underneath prior to giving it a decent under seal treatment. Are there any other areas prone to corrosion that I've yet to discover (i.e. hidden drain holes etc.)???

Hope too find out more from you all in due course.

Chris
206CC Allure 1.6, 97000mile.

Capncol

Re: Frozen north newbie.

Post by Capncol »

Hi and welcome.
Do yourself a favour and read the owners manual (especially the roof)
A lot of the problems we see here are own goals.

These aren't known for rust issues, but do remember even the newest ones are 10 years old now
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

Welcome Chris. For rust check the bulkhead down where the two bonnet vents are. This seems to be really good at letting in water which induces rust down behind the suspension shock tower.
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

SkyeCC

Post by SkyeCC »

Thanks for the replies.
Spent a weekend doing oil/fil change new logs and air filter. Then got underneath armed with wire brush and rust inhibitor and gave it a right good seeing too, front area all good, back required much more time, but no proper rot to speak of. Not bad for a 13yo car that's lived near the sea most of its life, suspect it's only been out when weathers been nice. So once all tidied up hit it with some under body seal all over and in the places that catch the road gunge.
Had another go at adjusting the rhs front boot lid catches, following the manual as suggested but still can't get it to lock. We will just have to live with getting out and lightly pressing on it to make it catch when open/closing roof. Not a great hardship really. Just wanted it to be perfect :(.

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

SkyeCC wrote:
Roof works well, although needs a little press down on the front corner drive side boot lid to stop the sing song and complete open/close cycle, had a brief look and tried adjusting the striker plate to get it to lock off the micro-switch, but needs further adjustment, or perhaps even adjusting the cable may help. Will play more when i get some dry weather. Also greased the rear quarter windows as they were a tad slow on open/close cycle, much better now I may add.

Chris
Hi Chris,
\i have excatly the same problem with the boot lid and tried adjusting the cable with no luck. I drive the car looking for pot holes and this fixes it until next time. Will be interested in a correct solution.

My rear quater windows are also slow; how and waht grease did you use?

I am in the process of applying silicone grease to all the rubber seals on the roof, door and boot at the moment while the weather is good. I have been doing this since i bought the car a few years ago.
Don't forget it fit a new pollen filter.
I use blue ACF50 grease on door hinge fittings, boot and bonnet.
I use ACF50 liquid all over the internal metal work and underneath.
Have fun,
Iain.
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.

SkyeCC

Post by SkyeCC »

HI Iain,

I have to laugh at your fix for the boot latch conundrum, surely not worth risking damaging other components (wheels & suspension) just to close the latch, easier to get out and press down firmly me thinks. :rotfl:

On the rear quarter windows, I took off the internal panels and foam protectors, white spray greased the runners/nylon rollers, and also fed the cables with very much 20w50 oil from can (I use it in my Moggy Traveller engine), whilst moving the windows electrically up and down. Much improvement has ensued. I could I suppose remove/replace the actual outer rubbers, if time/money allowed, but they are working well for now.

Not used blue grease before, but have sucessfully used red (water pump grease as I call it) grease on hinges and other parts the get frequently wet. But underneath, ive just caked everything in Black underseal, so should stop it rotting away any further. :)

On the pollen filter front, dont really need one to be honest as I have nice clear air here. :beer:

Cheers

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi SkyCC,
I await your solution to our boot problem.
I think I will spray the mechs with ACF50. 20W50 I avoid like the plauge and you should not put this in any engine, even a Moggie. :)
Moggie traveller; learnt to drive in one. LOL.

Have fun matey,
Iain.
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.