ABS Warning Light

Electrical 206CC problems
jeffluent

ABS Warning Light

Post by jeffluent »

The car is a 2litre petrol.When I turn the ignition on the various lights go off but not the ABS light. When I start up,but remain stationary,I get a beep and a screen message ABS Fault.When I move off I get a second beep and the same message. My general purpose diagnostic meter gives no fault codes.
My question is this.As the fault message comes when I am stationary can I assume that it is not the sensors or rings themselves though it could be the wiring to them?

IanL

Re: ABS Warning Light

Post by IanL »

Logically, the system is unlikely to detect a fault due to a ring when the car is stationary, unless it is a gross one, such as the ring being absent or too far away from the sensor. However, I think it would be possible to detect some form of sensor failure.

I think you really need to get a Peugeot Planet 2000 diagnosis, to give you a decent basis for further work.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

You don't need PP2000 it somewhat limits your choices if you are only searching for someone with it. You only need PP2000 for some things peculiar to Peugeots such as the roof or enabling features in the BSI.
Any pro scanner will read the ABS. You need the fault codes or you would be guessing otherwise.

Have a look here for non PP2000 diagnostic. I will add to it the next ABS fault I get in.
http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14101
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

jeffluent

Post by jeffluent »

My Sealy VS8801 EOBD Code Reader gives no fault codes despite the ABS light being on. What faults with the system does this eliminate?

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Sealey produced a Peugeot/Citroen/Renault specific code reader ... the VS863 ... probably because the standard ones didn't work well enough with the non-standard OBD system .. EOBD would only work with petrol cars after 2001 and diesels after 2004 .. and on French cars, even that wasn't guaranteed (even though it was an EU directive to standardise OBD systems for European cars and cars SOLD in Europe).

I can get still different codes in EOBD mode to the ones in Renault mode on our Clio (2004 Diesel) using my Renault specific Sealey as did the AA recently. And the 206CC was even worse where only PP2000 was reliable! (2001 Petrol).

My Sealey has a specific ABS option .. it uses different "pins" in the OBD connector to talk to the ABS unit.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

jeffluent

Post by jeffluent »

A decent analyser gave fault front offside sensor.As it seems only the back sensors are prone to rust problems I am assuming it is the sensor itself.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Well done Jeffluent. What scanner was it?
Just be aware the fault could be in the sensor wiring -unlikely, but bear it in mind.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

jeffluent

Post by jeffluent »

Don't know what the make of scanner was but it was a garage owners and cost about £5000. I held the gizmo while he drove and the live readings were steady on three wheels but all over the place on the offside front.The fact that they varied means to me that it is the sensor not the wiring. The garage owner is 'old school',not many left.Did not charge me anything.As the car has to go in to get the exhaust sorted,the backbox clamp was not tight enough and back section has twisted.Also the hanger on the back pipe is coming off and needs a little bit of welding so I will let him do the sensor.As he obviously gets the sensor cheaper than me that will pay for some of the labour charge.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

It may be a damaged reluctor ring.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

jeffluent

Post by jeffluent »

You are absolutely right,it was the reluctor ring.If I had just taken the wheel off in the first place!I mean it was falling apart.Went to garage.Owner disappeared into his cave and unearth a new ring,ordered up a new CV joint and started straight away.Parts (he didn't charge for the ring) and labour came to £139 which I thought very reasonable.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

The give away was the fluctuating reading. Sensor faults generally give no readings.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)