Newbie from Grimsby

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
Artermis

Newbie from Grimsby

Post by Artermis »

Hi everyone,

I hope this finds all well?

Thought I'd sign up and say hello. Have agreed a deal on a 2006 1.6 hdi that is being collected tomorrow. Car is to be my wife's new eco runabout for going to work.

Have to say I've never owned a French car at all although my brother has had a couple of Citroens with the 1.6 hdi, so not entirely new to me.

I've always had Italian stuff, Alfas mainly. I currently have an Audi A8 though. I've always signed up to forums for the cars I've had. The knowledge and experience is invaluable.

Looking forward to getting into the CC. Has a few little bits to tidy up but otherwise it seems a solid car.

Thanks all. Looking forward to contributing. Ben
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

IanL

Re: Newbie from Grimsby

Post by IanL »

Welcome.

Do make sure the roof works. Then, always run the engine when operating the roof, and never stop the roof in motion. Also, when closing the roof, do not operate the front catches until the bong has signalled the cycle is complete.

If the car has lost its Handbook, go to http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ddb/, select English, car and date for the edition which covers your car (there are some date-related differences).

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

IanL wrote:Welcome.

Do make sure the roof works. Then, always run the engine when operating the roof, and never stop the roof in motion. Also, when closing the roof, do not operate the front catches until the bong has signalled the cycle is complete.
Hi Ian. We did test the roof on test drive. Tested everything electric and it all tested out just fine.

It's only since we got it home it's been giving us issues! Damned thing.

It drove home just fine. Then when wife and I decided to go do some shopping that afternoon we had antipollution fault on the dash. I stuck some diesel v power in it that evening and the fault went away as we left the petrol station. Annoying but hey....

Then this morning it's come up with airbag fault.... Brilliant.

Tested the battery and it's fine albeit the terminals were pretty corroded. Cleaned those up, which of course involved disconnecting battery. Fault went away and didnt reappear yet.

Had to adjust the boot latch as that was rattling like hell. I did pick that up on test drive and wasn't concerned. That was easily fixed.

A bulb was blown on the back of the centre console display, which I've replaced. Again identified on test, easily fixed.

What I failed to pick up was the loose wing mirror. I'd twigged later that it was a bit wobbly but didn't realise how bad until later.

Stripped it down today and found the metal pivot plate mounting had been smashed off from the mirror motor assembly. Was essentially just flapping.

So I've completely disassembled the wing mirror and glued the two sections back together with a chemical metal compound. Breaking strength 5,000psi so I think it'll hold.

The only thing I couldn't resolve is the bonnet rattling. I couldn't find any adjustment in the latch mechanism. It's got a good bounce in it. I think I might be missing some rubber bump stops.

Thanks for handbook link. It did come with its book pack albeit no service history as previous owner lost it. The lady I bought from had receipts from her ownership.

Not the start to ownership I'd have hoped for but hopefully it's an improving picture.
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

IanL

Post by IanL »

There should be four bonnet buffers at the front corners, two on the bonnet and two on the body. Part No 7908 67.

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

IanL wrote:There should be four bonnet buffers at the front corners, two on the bonnet and two on the body. Part No 7908 67.
Thanks Ian,

These are in place, as per the attached image - which I took when investigating the nuisance. The bonnet closes and latches securely, although in it's shut position I can press down on the nose of the bonnet and gain about 10mm movement in it, in a downward direction of travel. I wouldn't have expected that. Not a massive concern.

Events overtook me a it transpired the car had a coolant leak, to the extent that it would near empty its coolant tank on my wife's 60 mile round trip commute daily.

I traced that back to the thermostat and replaced. There has been no determinable loss of coolant since replacement, so fingers crossed that has fixed it.

Annoyingly, the antipollution fault returned yesterday. It's clearly intermittent and the motor is running fine in itself. I suspect it may be a simple case of the thing would benefit from an italian tune up at some stage.

More annoyingly is it became apparent the car has some suspension issues, notably a clunk when travelling to the greater extent of the steering capabilities. It's fairly obvious from the resonant clunk that this would be the top shock mount / bearing sticking. Sounds like drivers side to me.

The car also had an advisory for O/S/F ball joint on the suspension arm, so whilst I'm at it.... For the cost of the parts I'll probably do both sides and seeing as the anti roll bar links are not likely to come off of their own free will, i guess I will replace those too!

Last but not least was the turbo cold side intake hose seal. I don't know how or why but clearly the ape that handled it last had absolutely mangled it, beyond all recognition. In doing so had deformed the pipe too. Had to warm up and attempt to re-shape the pipe and fit a new seal. Picture added for entertainment value.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

New fault this morning - coolant low level alarm and stop vehicle message.

Slightly worried at first having thought i'd fixed a coolant leak a week ago - but the coolant level is rock solid and hasn't dropped.

Therefore suspect the coolant level sensor is either fouled or failing. Will check it over at the weekend but sounding like it may well require a new coolant level sensor.

Hurrah!
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure