rear axle damage??

All your other probs if any.
IanL

Re: rear axle damage??

Post by IanL »

Some useful documentation on this site:

http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-206/.

Choose mechanical/Rear Axle/General/Removal Refitting Rear Suspension

Slo

Post by Slo »

gazza82 wrote:
How easy peasy Slo?

As we will need to remove the old hubs and swap, will this wreck the hub bearings when pulled off (like most hub bearing do .. inner race sticks to stub axle and the bearing disintegrates across the garage floor.
The hubs will or should pull off with the bearings intact but you will need a 3 leg puller, everything else as col says is bolt on so there's no need to disturb the brake lines integrity.
Handbrake cables can be a nightmare to remove from the calipers, I just cut mine knocked em out and replaced em.
The replacement axle will come with decent rubber mounts and stub axles so no point removing these from yours.
The hardest parts to remove by far is the bloody strengthening bars that go from the rear floor to the box section behind the bumper. Don't waste your time with cheap torx bits or handles get a 1/2 inch T55 torx bit socket from halfords (approx £6) and a long breaker bar, a heat gun or gas torch with some spunk to warm up ALL the bolts one at a time then just before you attempt to remove each one give it a good crack head on with a lump hammer. Any attempt to remove them cold or with cheap tools will probably round them off. :mad:
2 trolley jacks will come in very handy for this job, one for the axle and one to lower/raise the trailing arm per side to save your arm strength believe me it can get very tiring holding the weight up while you fit bolts.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

How long did it take you?

Autobook shows nearly 6 hours .. it will take me a lot longer probably as most of the bolts are going to be stuck from nearly 15 years of none-movement! It also used to live in Dundee so it's been "wet" under there .. a lot!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Slo

Post by Slo »

A whole day of daylight last summer and I might have even had to finish off the day after, I don't remember exactly but I hit the T55 torx problem after snapping a T handle off that was really thick while the bare axle was hanging on it too, so had to go get heat and the T55 to shift the buggers while the whole rear end was in bits, I have another car but this 206 was in a friends garage off road miles from anywhere at the time so I had to travel to get tools.

My car is 14 years old and all the nuts and bolts came off sweet as a nut except for the above and the bloody handbrake cables where they feed through the caliper casting.

It easily enough to do in a day IF you prepare and have all the right tools before you start.

A pair of strong helping hands will be a massive help especially when you are pulling and pushing away under the car on axle stands :!:

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Brake cables should be easy as they were replaced in last couple of years .. I may need one replacement rear caliper as the bleed nipple has been snapped off at some time! It was there ... I don't remember doing it ? :(

I'm going to have a chat with my local garage ... see what he would want as I don't really have the time unless I take a day off and if I don't finish in a day I'll be a bit stuck to finish ..

I'll let you all know how it goes ...

I've found three suppliers:
IMAxles -- seem to get good reviews on 206info forum
AB Axles
AxleDirect
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

About 3-4 hrs for me, but I do have a lot of tools
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Slo

Post by Slo »

Dare say I could do it in a similar time frame if I had to do it again, gazza you can just unbolt all the brakes and other stuff leaving everything attached and hanging on bungee's so you wont have to disturb the brake lines so it wont need bleeding.

Leaving the car in bits after running out of time is a big issue though, I wouldn't start it if your not confident you can finish it in time.

My axle was from imaxles, it was spotless clean and painted black but the paint was more like power paint what kids would use, it just scrapes off so it more like whitewash but black if you get my drift.

It came pretty quick and they are keen to pick up your old axle too.

After the swap my mot guy said it should fail as there was still play in the offside trailing arm even though he could see it was a refurbed axle and probably had new bearings but because id spent the money and changed it he gave me an advisory instead.

Ive heard bad things about imaxles and ive heard bad things about axledirect too as well as seen some pretty bad axles that have just been unpacked after delivery, they were all painted in a similar way but not cleaned first the paint was straight over all the dirt and rust lol never heard of ab axles.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Well it's definitely had it ... I/S tyre is rubbing on inner wing.

So refurb axle swap or try new bearings?

On top of 156 needing floor welding for mot this is a crummy month car-wise ...

Slo

Post by Slo »

If its rubbing on the inner wing i'd go with a refurb, the shaft is probably badly damaged by now and the other side wont be far behind it.

Nowt to stop you knocking the ends off and having a look though to be sure? If the shafts are shiny new bearings, if the shafts are rusty and/or any sign of wear refurb its a no brainer.

Its £235 delivered with a 2 year guarantee from imaxles

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

Well my 206cc seems to have suffered the same fate as the rear o/s wheel camber is off and it is scraping the inner wing. I think it is time to scrap the car and get another old banger to run around in.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

leegsi

Post by leegsi »

Just replace the rear axel.

They are only £250 from EuroCarParts for a reconditioned one

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

Not worth it for my car. I dont have the time or motivation. By the looks of it this car is sold by Sunday.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)