Changing spark plugs

Anything related to the 206CC
shiner

Changing spark plugs

Post by shiner »

Hi all
First time poster, nice to be here! I am trying to change the spark plugs on a 206 1.6 2002, and am having problems accessing the old spark plugs to remove them. Does anyone have the procedure for how to remove them? It appears you have to remove large parts of the petrol injection assembly to reach them. Am quite sure this can't be right - does anyone have any advice?

Already tried:
- the online manual does not explain it
- Existing youtube vids show the smaller engine which looks easy, but not relevant to this engine.

Would the Haynes manual be of use, or any other suggestions?
Many thanks, much appreciated.
Shiner

j2112

Re: Changing spark plugs

Post by j2112 »

There's a guide on here iirc as I did mine recently.
Anyway, remove the black engine cover - couple of bolts. Remove the coil pack - few more bolts, also bearing in mind the spring clip and electrical connector on the end (right hand side).
Plugs are then visible :)

shiner

Post by shiner »

Hi, I wish it were that easy as my engine cover has 8 bolts which would only expose the twin? overhead camshafts-there is even a small black cover to take off first. Beginning to wonder what engine this is! The problem is in removing the air induction assy against the bulkhead which completely covers the plugs and presumably coils. There are no visible screws/bolts on this and feels very solid with couple of sensors to release as well. If I could see something to release I would have a go!

j2112

Post by j2112 »

There's a clip on the pipe which releases them :)
Check this out -
http://www.206info.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=603.html

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

shiner wrote:Hi, I wish it were that easy as my engine cover has 8 bolts which would only expose the twin? overhead camshafts-there is even a small black cover to take off first. Beginning to wonder what engine this is! The problem is in removing the air induction assy against the bulkhead which completely covers the plugs and presumably coils. There are no visible screws/bolts on this and feels very solid with couple of sensors to release as well. If I could see something to release I would have a go!
Your spark plugs live in between the cams under the coil pack.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

shiner

Post by shiner »

The penny has just dropped - I did not realise this is the 16 valve engine and I have owned it nearly 4 years!! Thought it went well for an auto as well!! Thanks for all the pointers and I can see them as you say- between the camshafts (not over the back with the PI). I think they may have done 52k miles if the service records are correct and still goes well. I guess the only down side is that the Haynes manual will not cover that engine-unless..........
Regards to all Alan

IanL

Post by IanL »

shiner wrote:The penny has just dropped - I did not realise this is the 16 valve engine... I guess the only down side is that the Haynes manual will not cover that engine-unless..........
The Haynes for the 207 is supposed to include the TU5JP4. Another good source is the documentation is the Peugeot Service Box and the SEDRE, as supplied to Peugeot dealers. These can be obtained from EBay, but there can be issues with protection. I use http://www.emanualonline.com/Cars/Peugeot.htm. Best tenner I ever spent. Whichever car you click, you get the full package for all Peugeots listed. Easily installed, no protection issues, and it runs on any PC or Mac.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

52k is pushing it for plugs unless they are platinum NGKs. My Alfa uses those and they get swapped at 60k. Not cheap when you remember there are 8 ... 4-cylinder twinspark engine.

the 2.0 CC we have had plugs with Pug lions emblems ... And looked like they had done the 50k+ the car had done ... Shot is not the word. It now has Bosch Super4s and runs very smoothly. Doddle to fit too.

Our 1.4 Alfa has new plugs every 18k according to the book!!! Thay's every service and not so easy to get to as a 206!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Piyas

Post by Piyas »

What are the best plugs to use on a 206cc 1.6 16v petrol?
206cc 1.6 16V Petrol
Al4 Transmission

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Bosch super 4's
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Good in the 2.0 engine too
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo