car will not start

Do you have a suggestion for the site, wish to leave feedback - do it here.
kevg

car will not start

Post by kevg »

Hi all, I just bought a 2003 2.0ltr petrol 206cc, its been left in a garage for 2 yrs after the clutch release bearing went, the battery was totally dead, I did try to start it with my jump starter but it just made a clicking noise and then a electronic buzz.

I bought a brand new battery and followed the correct connection procedure but still the same. I also tried the disconnection procedure and connection procedure a few times.

Most things work with the exception of the heater, radio, wipers and maybe some other things I have not noticed.

I am not sure if its the starter motor that's the problem or the B.S.I. module, I jacked the car up but the starter motor is really difficult to get at.

The previous owner said all was ok with the car before the clutch went and it had a MOT 2 weeks before.
I don't think the engine would have seized with it being left in the garage for the 2 yrs and the oil looks ok.

The petrol seems to have evaporated but that would not stop it from turning over.

I am running out of ideas now, can anyone out there help?

Many thanks

gazza82

Re: car will not start

Post by gazza82 »

Put it in gear and try and turn the engine over by pushing car ... make sure ignition is off!!!

Might be easier with no spark plugs.

That should tell you if it's seized ...
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

kevg

Post by kevg »

Thanks for your reply, I still cannot turn the engine, I think its the starter motor that's faulty but, I cannot get to it, either from above or from under the car, has anyone ever removed the starter motor on a 2.0ltr because I am losted, I can hardly see the fixing bolts or even the solenoid.

Many thanks

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Did you try Gazzas suggestion? I would confirm it's not seized first
Starter has 3 bolts holding it on, 2 going in from engine side towards gearbox, 1 from other way. Remove airfilter and associated pipework for access. Get to it from above.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

kevg

Post by kevg »

Many thanks for your advice Col.

I have decided to let my mechanic sort it, he can do the clutch at the same time, Just need to organise it to be recovered to his garage.

I did look at the idea of removing the n/s wheel, inner wheel cover and all the stuff connected to the air box but I don't have the time or facilities to do it here.

many thanks again

regards

kevin

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Fair enough. (You don't need to remove wheel or liner for access BTW)
Would you feed back when the problem is fixed please?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

kevg

Post by kevg »

Hi thanks for your advice, I had the car trailered to the garage, 3 hours later the mechanic called me to tell me the engine was seized, Had it trailered back home at a cost of £100 round trip.
I had a gut feeling the engine was not seized so I invested in a load of tools etc, took the throttle body off and inlet manifold to get to the starter motor, it was the only way I could get to it to remove it, guess what was trapped in the fly wheel teeth? a ball bearing!! I checked the starter motor and it was fine, put it all back together and it started first time, so much for car mechanics!! I asked him if the clutch release bearing would have anything to do with it but he said no, what a waster and of my £100.
So I had no choice but to do the clutch myself, now I have all the tools! Unfortunately the weather beat me and the car has been on axle stands since November, today the weather was great so I decided to crack on with removing the gear box from the car, I had already removed the drive shaft etc on the n/s.
I have removed a total of 6 engine bolts and now the gearbox is stuck fast it will not separate, its like I have not removed any bolts, some say I should remove the o/s shaft but I do not see how that would stop the gearbox separating , Can anyone give me a clue why this is, could main gearbox shaft be fused into the engine? Its way of my head now. many thanks

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Remove the O/S drive shaft. It will help with removal and more importantly refitting of box.
You may have got the release bearing caught in the clutch cover. If clutch is still connected get someone to press clutch pedal while you look to see if you can get a gap around bell housing.

PS, You have removed gearbox mount?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

kevg

Post by kevg »

Hi Col

yes I removed the gearbox mount and bought a new one, it looked a bit rough!
I shall remove the o/s shaft and check what you said about the clutch pedal.

many thanks
kevin

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Sometimes the release bearing breaks up and jams every thing up (ball bearing in the flywheel is a give away)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

kevg

Post by kevg »

Hi all,
Well what a night mare, so I was advised to remove the off side drive shaft to help remove the gearbox, couldn't get to one of the bolts on the intermediate bearing, finally today after weeks of bad weather managed to get to the other bolt/nut, I am not sure what is suppose to happen next because the drive shaft is solid, it turns but I am not sure if it is in two parts, what happens when the two bolts/nuts are loose?
Also at the moment the gearbox is half hanging out, that's because other end of the drive shaft is holding it causing it to be stuck up against the subframe.
On what I think is the transfer box I have undone three bolts, does anyone know what these do.
I am stuck now, don't know what to do next, think I have gone above my mechanical experience!
Could anyone advise.
many thanks

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I said to remove O/S drive and it sounds as if you have just undone the support. You need to remove it completely (ie) take the hub nut off and pull it out of the hub or else you end up in the situation you are in, where you can't get the gearbox over far enough to clear the shaft.
3 bolts on transfer box? Transfer boxes are on 4X4 set ups. What 3 bolts do you mean? Can you post a photo?
Don't worry. I'm sure we can sort you!
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

kevg

Post by kevg »

Hi Col,
Sorry about the delay, the problem is that I tried to take the gearbox off without removing the O/S drive shaft first and now the box is stuck, it is now hanging over toward the front of the car.
I have undone the 2 bolts on the intermediate bearing and still cannot remove the shaft, I think its not helping with the box twisted over to one side, trapping the end of the drive shaft in it.
My problem is I am on the drive doing this on my own, I am finding it very difficult, I need to get someone to help me with it, like turning the gearbox to its vertical postion, while I am under the car trying to remove the shaft, I have tried again this afternoon but I cannot shift it, not easy!!

kevg

Post by kevg »

hi Col, yeah the 3 bolts are on the back of the gear box where the shaft enters, I have only turned them a quarter because I was not sure what they did, the Haynes manual is not that good to be honest.
cheers

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

You don't need to touch those 3 bolts. You really need to get that O/S Shaft out.
It can be done with it in situ, but it's really difficult unless you know the dodges, and you risk breaking the speedo drive.
So you need to undo the hub nut, release the lower wishbone, Unbolt the support bearing at the back of the engine block, and knock the shaft out of the hub with an aluminium drift. You can then remove it. Gearbox will then come out.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)