Suspension problem

All your other probs if any.
smokey

Suspension problem

Post by smokey »

Hi all, I seem to be able to feel every bump in the road now and not just in the seat I can feel it through the pedals could this be the suspension ?
206cc wife's toy
Nissan micra my work toy
Pinzgaur would be toy

gazza82

Re: Suspension problem

Post by gazza82 »

Check the big rubber bushes in front susprnsion arms and for play in balljoints.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

smokey

Post by smokey »

Are these easy to replace, I have some knowledge of cars?
206cc wife's toy
Nissan micra my work toy
Pinzgaur would be toy

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Replace complete arms. You can replace just the bushes but by then the balljoints are probably shot.

Make sure you by the GTI spec arms. The "normal" rubber ones split within months ... they can't take the weight of the engine and the added weight of the folding roof.

Oh and they are not for the faint-hearted to tackle ...
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

smokey

Post by smokey »

So two competent engineers could do this? I have been looking on the net and looks like I will need to buy a splitter to do this job?
206cc wife's toy
Nissan micra my work toy
Pinzgaur would be toy

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Shouldn't need to. Remove the clamp bolt that holds the balljoint in hub and gently open it up with a small cold chisel. Just a gnat's whisker!

Then force the arm down sharply. I use a length of 4x2 hardwood, laid over the arm and under the floor pan. Then stamp on the end. Never fails.

The bolts through the mountings are torx shape so you may need to get a set. I've got one car where these have been fitted from top and one from bottom. For safety I think from top is best ... I put some loctite blue on ones fitted from underneath and torque to correct limit.

It's getting the balljoint back that usually tries my patience ... ;-)

Telecaster

Post by Telecaster »

OK now how do I get all this back together I have replaced the lower arm and fitted the ball joint first as per Haynes manual I can't seem to get the lower arm retaining bolts to go in what's the secret? Please advise before I hit the bottle and go into a sulk?,, :box: :eat:

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Fit mounting bolts first then balljoint ... Haynes at their finest ... again ...

Telecaster

Post by Telecaster »

Yes I thought it was a good read! Any tips on getting the Balljoints in? Best methods and or tools? I've been on it 3 days now so my patience is wearing thin as you can imagine! Thinking about going back to a push bike but the thought of all that Latex is putting me off!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I just lever down the wishbone with a long bar, line up the ball joint and release the bar slowly while lining up the ball joint with the strut.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.