Gear box failed?

All your other probs if any.
kellymc1983

Gear box failed?

Post by kellymc1983 »

Went to go to work this morning and upon going to pull off my driveway my car stalled. Took it out of gear and restarted the engine, put it back in to first and proceed to drive off. Upon selecting second gear it seemed to grind and loose power. Selected neutral and then put it back into first and still a grinding noise, almost as if a chain was coming out of it's cog? Stopped then car and selected reverse and there was just nothing there. And same when I put it back to first. Managed to coast it to a safe place at the side of the road, but that's all I could do without the awful noise occurring. Does it sound like the gear box has failed? Or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance

Kelly
Peugeot 206cc 1.6 16v Quiksilver 54 plate

Capncol

Re: Gear box failed?

Post by Capncol »

Sounds like clutch. What happens if you put it in second THEN start the engine? (Kelly, bit more info on mileage etc: would help)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

kellymc1983

Post by kellymc1983 »

I'll try that once I get home this afternoon. Had to abandon it and head for work. Luckily it's not parked too far from home.
Mileage is just coming up to 70500.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

It does rather sound like the clutch which you had done cheaply only a couple of years ago. It'll be interesting to hear what you respond to Col's question.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

kellymc1983

Post by kellymc1983 »

Managed to get it towed home and upon inspection the drive shaft has snapped on the drivers side. Don't know what will have caused it until I can get into the local garage later on this week

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Wow. Not seen a Pug do that before. Please let us know what they say.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Blimey! Never heard of that on a 206cc!
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

kellymc1983

Post by kellymc1983 »

Eventually had the drive shaft replaced. No idea what caused it. But now I'm getting a knocking noise that gets quicker upon acceleration. Could it be the gearbox or something else? The clutch and brakes feel ok still.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Does the knocking drop back down as you change up through each gear or just keep steadily increasing? Was it a new driveshaft? Do you know what make ? (ie genuine Pug)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)