1.6 16V cambelt / timing belt guide

All your other probs if any.
spuggy

Re: 1.6 16V cambelt / timing belt guide

Post by spuggy »

Could any one tell me what size the bolts are in the cam belt cover what socket is it as they are very small

Cheers :cry:

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

This was with our 2.0, but I think they are 10mm heads, but I don't have the car around to check.

I have a small 1/4" & 3/8" socket set and it was one of those .. :oops:
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

spuggy

Post by spuggy »

Thank you

jm13

Post by jm13 »

Hi guys new to the forum so hello :Yes:
I recently bought a peugeot 206 s 1360cc from an auction ( sold as seen lol ) without checking it over as i drove it home the engine light was on and the temp shot up after having a look the next day there was water in the oil so i assume its the head gasket which i have changed along with the water pump and cam belt , now I have had a nightmare it wont run at all the crank and cam were locked with pins. when turned over it try s and if given gas pedal to the floor it fires but sounds rough and there is a slight backfire which would say to me timing is out , I cant find any marks or anything in hynes manual to point me where to start , so my question is if you had to set the engine up from scratch for a new cam belt what would you line up to what and where lol sorry I am old school mechanic newer cars i have never worked on , could it be something else like a cam position sensor ? I just dont have a clue any help advice would be great
thanks
John

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Hi John and welcome.
It sounds like you have the timing out a tooth or two.. Ignition timing is controlled by the ECU so there isn't a timing mark for that. I wold drop the covers off and recheck everything lines up with the flywheel pinned. (Don't forget if the cam marks are 180 degrees out, turn the crank one complete turn, and they should then line up)

Let us know what you find, and we can try and help further.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

jm13

Post by jm13 »

THanks for the reply thats what i figured and tried that but no good think i will have to give in and toe it to local garage its turning into a money pit :ill:

Pete-crisp

Post by Pete-crisp »

Hi guys, just finished changing the cambelt and tensioner on my girlfriends 2.0 16v cc. All went well but the only think I want to know is when the tension has been set when the pointer is on the notch and the 16mm nut has been tightened while rotating the engine buy and should the pointer move at all? This one moves up and down a couple of mm but does alway go back to facing the notch.

Thanks pete

leegsi

Post by leegsi »

Did you use your universal cam locking tool instead of the 2 8mm drill bits?

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Is that to me?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

Pete-crisp

Post by Pete-crisp »

My message is to anyone who would no or had this problem?

Thanks

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I use either pins or locking tool as I have both.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I used two 8mm bolts on cams. 2.0 litre engine though if it makes any difference.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Paul_Turvey

Post by Paul_Turvey »

Brilliant thread!

I just rebuilt a Tu1 jp head after the cam belt went and bent the valves, this forum along with a German bloke on YouTube helped me rebuild the head and I didn't even know what I was doing to start with!

Thanks for the photo's and the explanation it really helped me out and the 1.1 car is now running like a dream!

Thanks guys! X

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

You're welcome
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

OMG, I did mine yesterday on a Peugeot 206 GTI, same engine as the CC (136BHP not the 180).

I brought a Gates timing belt kit which came with the full water pump with housing, way better quality than the plastic one by Peugeot themselves, this one is all metal, the only downside to this is there is 1 bolt to remove, and 3 nuts, which at first I didnt realize were nuts on studs, I thought they were bolts, and in-order to get the whole housing off the attached metal water pipe, you have to remove the studs too, lol, 8mm socket fixed this for me, but still wasnt easy, its tight in there with no room to move.

Never again am I going to try this job, it would have been easier to lift the whole engine out, change the parts and drop the engine back in, the timing belt cover bolts are near as impossible to get too, especially the back ones with the AirCon pipes in the way, what a stupid place to put the ECU, the timing belt I fitted was that difficult to get on, I had to check 10 times it was actually the right size lol.

in the end we fitted it in a different order to what Peugeot suggested, left cam one till last, got it around everything else, crank, pulleys, water pump etc. and with all locking pins still in place, three of them, we knocked the crank out of time very slightly to give enough slack to get the belt over cam 1 and then pulled the crank back into time with the timing marks we set, even then it was a massive struggle, really dont see any need for a tensioner here, the timing belt is over tight already in my opinion, 6 and a half hours to do the job and most of the time was spent getting the timing belt cover off.

Just one other thing to add very quickly which ive never seen before, unlike the pictures on page 1 of this thread, my 2 cam pulleys dont look the same, Cam 2 has some kind of heavy round weight in it which I had to remove in order to pin the cam, it just pulled out, not held in by anything, infact, im wondering now if its even supposed to be there, once the engine is running at speed, the only thing stopping this thing from flying out is the cam cover itself, anyone ever seen anything like this before ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.