206cc won't start when cold

Electrical 206CC problems
walshawwilly

Re: 206cc won't start when cold

Post by walshawwilly »

Also to check the earth's and clean them do I need to disconnect the battery or just have the ignition off?thinking of doing the bsi reset at the same time

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Probably best to disconnect the battery completely .. if you have any dodgy earth connections, it may play up afterwards

BSI reset won't hurt.

Have you got a throttle cable or electronic throttle? If it's cable, then I wouldn't have though changing the throttle body would do much. But check the throttle cable connections are tight, etc. If electronic, I'd pull all the plugs on the throttle body and at the pedal, get them a good clear with an electronics spray (once that evaporates) and plug it all back making sure you have good connections everywhere.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

walshawwilly

Post by walshawwilly »

It's electronic throttle control

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

walshawwilly wrote:all ok until sat on a long run,coming back it started to stutter and no response from the throttle and then ok again until we got nearly home when it was struggling again and antipolution warning and check light came on,is the throttle body on its way out?
Sounds to me like a new problem has been introduced as you didn't say it was doing this beforehand..
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

walshawwilly

Post by walshawwilly »

initially it was just a cold start issue but after I changed the map sensor the car ran terribly and seemed to want to stall if you revved it and let the revs drop back down, my so-called Citroën friend, was supposed to have cleaned the throttle body and did a software update for the cold start cycle, he said it was running sweet when I collected it and the following morning it wouldn't start from cold,so I had the aa out to it,and as explained in previous posts after he did what he did it ran well all week,I bought a second hand throttle body today but just tried to fit it and the electrical pins on the throttle body I've got won't plug into my loom because 3 or 4 of the pins on new body are bigger,another thing as well,my throttle body is a bosch plastic one and the replacement is alloy body,this is also a bosch, I'm reluctant to buy a new one as I'm not totally convinced it will cure the fault,anyway I've had the throttle body off tonight and cleaned it thoroughly with carb cleaner and electrical cleaner on the contacts,done a bsi reset and recalibration of the throttle body and also the throttle pedal,I also discovered the jubilee clip from the air filter to the throttle body hadn't been tightened at all,would this affect anything?

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

walshawwilly wrote:just tried to fit it and the electrical pins on the throttle body I've got won't plug into my loom because 3 or 4 of the pins on new body are bigger,
Welcome to the world of Peugeot (non) interchangeability!
walshawwilly wrote:I also discovered the jubilee clip from the air filter to the throttle body hadn't been tightened at all,would this affect anything?
No not really, so long as hose/pipe is in place.

Have you tried jump leads yet?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

walshawwilly

Post by walshawwilly »

No col I haven't, all last week it's started fine from cold, maybe I have a separate problem now? If it fails to start from cold again will try the jump leads on it, I've bought a secondhand throttle body off ebay,as the breakers one I got the plug was slightly different, mine is a black plastic bosch one that is like rocking horse poo,I'm thinking of doing the earths next, the gearbox one looks awkward and do you remove the headlights for the other ones,if so how,any tips?

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Golden rule is one thing at a time.
If you do the earths, throttle body et al and something else occurs, is it down to the new throttle body or the earths?
See what I mean?

If I may say so, you seem to be doing a lot of guessing and no diagnosis (I call it the poke-and-hope method) This can cost you a lot more in the end (ie) presuming TB is faulty instead of testing it- and now you have bought 2 (as well as a MAP sensor, spark plugs and coolant temp sensor)
You haven't given any fault codes so I guess you have not used diagnostics on it?
We can try and help you, but it is best to fault find in a logical way.

If you are going to change TB, just make sure new TB has the same numbers as original one.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

walshawwilly

Post by walshawwilly »

Hi col,maybe I haven't explained in enough depth exactly what's been done to the car, when the cold start issues first occurred there was no check light illuminated, after trying for a while to start the car the morning after I called the aa, when they came it started and the check light came on,he got a crank sensor code out of it,which is replaced, code cleared, next cold spell no warning lights wouldn't start,after trying for ages it eventually started and the check light came on and antipolution warning came on after a run down the motorway it went off, my mate then plugged it in and it had logged a crank sensor fault again but the car was running fine at this point when warm and all the live data was as it should be, he suggested trying a coolant temperature sensor which I'd also been thinking about trying as he said they don't always cause the check light to come on until they are failing,fitted that no difference, it was only when the map sensor was changed that the car ran badly when warm, that's when my so called mate who works at just Citroën had it,he checked it all out and said it was all working fine and all he'd done was cleaned the throttle body supposedly and updated the cold start software, the car was running ok until the next morning when it was cold and wouldn't start again, that's when I had the aa out again, but strangely it logged a fault for crank sensor, coolant temperature sensor and something else but as explained about his findings with the throttle body if decided it was at fault, he the live info from the throttle position and throttle percentage weren't reading anything until he moved the flap manually it wouldn't reset either??

walshawwilly

Post by walshawwilly »

I returned the throttle body yesterday to the breakers and got a refund and the one I've got off ebay is the exact same part numbers,sorry for my ramblings this car is driving me mad

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

If the AA man could only get a reading from the throttle body when moving it manually, I'd be inclined to think that it is OK ... BUT .. the problem is at the throttle pedal and this is not sending through the right signals .. possibly intermittently. If you have a fly-by-wire throttle, 99% of the problems are with the potentiometers at the pedal and throttle body .. sometimes the wiring in between.

Capncol is right though .. you really need the codes read properly on a fully compatible Peugeot system (PeugeotPlanet 2000) ... otherwise you are clutching at straws.

But a simple check of the pedal connections shouldn't be hard .. plug may simply be loose. One way would be to try and tie-wrap the two halves together (or insulating tape).
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Gazza they are easy to test with a multi meter.

5V+ and ground in
Increasing voltage coming out as you depress pedal.
Track B should have half track A's voltage (as a safety check)
If one track fails car will go into limp and put MIL on. (unusual for both tracks to fail simultaneously, so maybe no power going to pedal??)
All can be verified with a multimeter.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)