How to-Brake Discs & Pads change with pics.

All your other probs if any.
Capncol

Re: How to-Brake Discs & Pads change with pics.

Post by Capncol »

They aren't a bad make. If handbrake travel still excessive, then adjust it at the handbrake. It should have self adjusted though. You located the "pips" into the slots in the piston OK?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

fatboyslim

Post by fatboyslim »

I got the pips in fine that was easy,the hardest part was holding the pad in place to drive the wedge thingy back in place,those anti-rattle springs are a PITA!!
Funnily enough though after coming home from work today the handbrake seemed better
It was very hard pull beyond 6 clicks
The hand brake has always been a bit on the crap side since I've owned the car anyway

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Give it another few runs in that case
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

SAnt

Post by SAnt »

Decided to change front discs & pads, but they don't have T55 bolts on the caliper carrier part.

These are the sizes I used;
Discs: T13
Caliper: 13mm
Caliper Carrier: 19mm

Also my discs are the taller height ones. Is there any relation to the bolts being different or just that they have been replaced?

-- update --

Done the rear pads and discs today. Thanks for the guide and all the info in the thread. :love-thx:

Purchased that piston windback tool from amazon which was easy to use. Done a small run gradually increasing the speed before breaking, which I hope is enough to bed them all in. The wear looks even across all the discs from the outside so I think that's a good sign :thumbs:
2002 206cc 2.0 Manual

a1i.cu

Post by a1i.cu »

I tried last week to put new discs on the front, but I couldn't get the bolts out of the discs. Didn't want to ruin them. I used an allen key but if guys are saying that it's T **, I'll get mine out and try (that'll be why the allen key didn't work - even though i was hammering it into the bolt to get it to stick!!)
Silver Peugeot 206 CC 2002.
got July 2014, 19,500 miles on the clock - and the roof works too :)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

a1i.cu wrote:I used an allen key but if guys are saying that it's T **, I'll get mine out and try (that'll be why the allen key didn't work - even though i was hammering it into the bolt to get it to stick!!)
You've probably buggered them. Try tapping the back of the disc with a copper mallet. That usually loosens the bolts.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

a1i.cu

Post by a1i.cu »

Yeah, that's my fear... but I'll try anyway

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

I changed my rear pads today. The T25 torx bolt that holds the disc to the hub was buggered, but this is the norm for these bolts. I have yet to see one that is good. Luckily my trusty Draper impact driver got them out on both sides. One of the boots on the o/s piston had some splits. Was not me.

I admit I never bothered myself but you should check your reservoir when pushing back the pistons to make sure it does not over flow. Brake fluid ruins paintwork.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

a1i.cu

Post by a1i.cu »

Capncol wrote: You've probably buggered them.

Didn't bugger them !!! Had a friend who helped - and as all 4 discs needed to be done, he managed to reconditin the rear calipers too, which had seized :) I've a good friend - all I paid him was a bottle of JD !!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Result!! :thumbs:
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I replaced the small torx headed screws when I replaced the rear discs ... three went in OK .. one, the head snapped off with very little force!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Just a quick "Thank You" to Capncol (and a nod to Edmund Jones, too) for the article on replacing rear brake disks and pads. This morning I changed out both rear disks and installed new pads and everything went according to plan. The big surprise was both calipers moved freely on the guide pins..... I was expecting they would be seized, so that was a bonus. I used a Laser-1314 piston wind-back tool but like Edmund, I found that the caliper bracket got in the way of the threaded stem of the wind-back tool. I removed the bracket and found that with moderate pressure on the tool, the piston wound back with no trouble. Here again, I thought it would be a real struggle to get the piston back (after reading comments from owners who struggled without the tool), but it was easy.
The most difficult part for me was keeping the rattle-springs correctly located while I drove the wedge-shaped retainer back into the caliper. After a few attempts, I checked the wedge closely and the inner end of it was bushed out due to someone using a chisel or screwdriver to drive it out. I used a fine file to grind the chisel marks from the wedge so that wouldn't "hang up" when going back into place, so that, too, went in much easier.
I drove it round the block a couple of times and applied the brakes gently and there seems to be an improvement, but the handbrake is only slightly better. I'm hoping/expecting that as the pads bed in, the performance of the handbrake will improve.
That's about it so thanks again for the "how to".

I don't know if the brake fluid has ever been changed, so maybe I'll do that soon. Can I use ordinary DOT-4 fluid or do I have to use Peugeot stuff? And any ideas on how much I'll need? Can't find it in the Haynes manual.
Kenzo.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

DOT4 is fine and likely to be same spec as Peugeot anyway.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Covbandit

Post by Covbandit »

Very good thread :thumbs:

Anyone know of a suitable 6 sided bolt to swap to instead of putting the 55 torx head ones on the front back in again?
Joined forum for this one....206 1.6 convertible 2006 (Daughter)

Family fleet
2.0 Mondeo diesel estate (Mine) 19
2.0 Mondeo diesel Mk3 (Wife) 54
1.6cc Peugeot 206 (Daughter 2) 55
2.0 Diesel Golf (Sons) 19
1.6 Ford Focus (Daughter 1) 63

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

The Torx are fine.. Problem occurs when they are overtightened (and use copper grease)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)