Coolant system leak

Any problems assoicated with leaks
coolasacucumber

Coolant system leak

Post by coolasacucumber »

My wifes 1.6 CC has been leaking a tiny amount of fluid (I'd not bothered examining as it was really tiny amounts), but last night on a 15 min journey, max 50mph it giot to over 100 degrees, and there was no hot air blowing although the heater was set to full.

I investigated this morning, and the coolant reservoir was empty.

I topped it up, left it running for 10 mins, got up to about 80 degrees, the water started pouring out from underneath the radiator.

Well, I say underneath, but as the photos below show, it actually looks like it's coming from the top of the rad. I can't see any pipes/connections etc, so can anyone offer any advice as to where it is coming from please?

We could do with getting it sorted asap as she needs it for work, but funds are limited so I don't just want to dump it into a garage, as last week we had to get the clutch & cat done, ouch!

Thanks in advance.

Here's the pictures:-

On this one you can see the staining down the side of the rad...

On this one (is that the a/c condenser?) water is sat on top of it, so it must have been leaking at the top somewhere.

Capncol

Re: Coolant system leak

Post by Capncol »

Looks like rad core leak. Try to have a look with it running and see if you can see where it's coming from. That water looks rusty. You need to flush and refill with antifreeze mix once leak is cured.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

coolasacucumber

Post by coolasacucumber »

Thanks Col, I'll have another look tomorrow. But, from what I could see today, it was coming straight from the rad itself.

If that is the case tomorrow as well, what are my options? Will it need need just a new rad, or more?

Thanks again.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

New rad and then flush as above.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.