MOT advisory notes

Anything related to the 206CC
Dav1ey

MOT advisory notes

Post by Dav1ey »

Hi all,
My beast has today passed its MOT with only a new tyre failing it because the guy who fitted it had it the wrong way round :? But that is sorted now and I have some advisory notes which I wanted to discuss to see if worth getting fixed urgently before I sell it in the next 6 months or advise the new owner of.
It was MOTd at Main dealer and they advise:
Steering system has slight free play detected at steering wheel
Outer lower skin of rear silencer slightly corroded
and
Corrosion to inner face of 1 front brake disc.
AND that they had to remove 1 Jelly Bean air freshener from rear view mirror lol
All in all I am pleased with this and everything else was a green pass. Car has done 57000 miles now.
Thanks
Ex owner of a 2005, 206cc Allure, Aegean Blue, 1.6 Auto with Cream leather ambience - *** SOLD *** and being loved in Essex :) NEW Fiat 500 Lounge with Start Stop in Pasadoblé Red... Rampant Roller Skate :D
Norwich, UK :) OUT, PROUD & PROBABLY BEING NAUGHTY!

Dav1ey

Re: MOT advisory notes

Post by Dav1ey »

Ex owner of a 2005, 206cc Allure, Aegean Blue, 1.6 Auto with Cream leather ambience - *** SOLD *** and being loved in Essex :) NEW Fiat 500 Lounge with Start Stop in Pasadoblé Red... Rampant Roller Skate :D

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Nothing there to worry about. If the play at the steering wheel gets a lot worse then its probably a track rod end with play in it. Cheap and easy to replace.

The exhaust will corrode (think of where it lives). If it corrodes all the way through so that it blows then (and only then) it will need replacing.

The brake discs are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Continue to use it for the next year until either the pads need replacing or until it fails next year if the corrosion has got that bad. Regular use of the car may get rid of some of the disc corrosion. If your brake pads do need renewing in the next 12 months then that would be the time to consider renewing the brake discs too.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

suegriff

Post by suegriff »

depends if want to spend money on it before u sell, but at the end of the day i leave it, the outer skin of back box on mine as been taken off so it looks tidy...

Dav1ey

Post by Dav1ey »

Thanks Grandad, they did mention track rocks in the full report but I dont have said report with me in the office today. Would you recommend using a local garage or main dealer? I dont want to spend heaps of cash on it before selling really. Thanks :big-grin:

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

My god what's happened to your hair? Not been sticking your fingers in the light socket have you? :big-grin:
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Dav1ey wrote:Thanks Grandad, they did mention track rocks in the full report but I dont have said report with me in the office today. Would you recommend using a local garage or main dealer? I dont want to spend heaps of cash on it before selling really. Thanks :big-grin:

A local garage should be able to do it, but remember you will also need the tracking reset afterwards. My local tyre dealer does that for £35. Track rods are £10-15 each and labour ... I changed one on the Clio in under 45 mins and that included jacking up, etc. Pretty chuffed with myself! ;)
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Dav1ey wrote:Thanks Grandad, they did mention track rocks in the full report but I dont have said report with me in the office today. Would you recommend using a local garage or main dealer? I dont want to spend heaps of cash on it before selling really. Thanks :big-grin:
If it only has slight play at the steering wheel I wouldn't bother renewing the track rod ends unless I started to get abnormal tyre wear. If you are selling it I wouldn't get them renewed first.

Whenever I've replaced track rod ends myself, by careful measurement before, during and after doing the job I've always got away without needing to reset the tracking. However this won't happen at a garage and they will check/adjust the tracking at a cost. It needs to be done properly though and some outfits can't seem to get it right even though they're supposed to be professionals! You can end up driving away with the steering wheel off centre or with too much toe in or toe out and have to take it back for them to have another go. So, unless you get a lot of play and abnormal tyre wear I'd leave things be for the time being.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Dav1ey

Post by Dav1ey »

Capncol wrote:My god what's happened to your hair? Not been sticking your fingers in the light socket have you? :big-grin:
HAHA Capncol! No, I decided to do a number 1 all over, especially for the freezing temps... didnt think it through lol :yikes:
Grandad, I will leave it for now as it goes in a straight line, with steering wheel in middle ;) Just had new tyres on so will check for wear in a couple of months but I am not really doing the mileage at the moment to worry about it.
Thanks guys 8)

Dav1ey

Post by Dav1ey »

gazza82 wrote: A local garage should be able to do it, but remember you will also need the tracking reset afterwards. My local tyre dealer does that for £35. Track rods are £10-15 each and labour ... I changed one on the Clio in under 45 mins and that included jacking up, etc. Pretty chuffed with myself! ;)
Gazza! Get to Norwich and come help me do mine lol... I would love to have a go but would not trust myself with anything like that... I can check/refill levels and do my tyres well tho ;)

Chushpie

Post by Chushpie »

Why are you selling your car? Are you off to pastures new like me or changing for a newer model?

I had a car fail its MOT quite a few years ago for several reasons, one being a Shaun the Sheep air freshener on the dashboard! These MOT stations really don't seem to appreciate a nice smelling car!
Now: Audi TT Mk1 1.8T quattro (225)
Then: Peugeot 206cc 2.0 (Black/Silver special edition)

Dav1ey

Post by Dav1ey »

Chuspie, thinking of selling as only purchased this while the other half learnt to drive. Now he has full license and has experience he wants to get a brand new car for the summer but as he really wants a new Fiat 500 lol, I am thinking I might keep my CC for another year or 2... so many decisions! And gutted about your Shaun The Sheep... Love W&G, my nickname is Gromit :big-grin:

Chushpie

Post by Chushpie »

Ha ha, Gromit - I love it!! :clap: I adore Wallace & Gromit. I have recently had a run out to Wensleydale and am planning cruise for the TT owners club now that I've had a dummy run (I've called it 'A Grand Day Out').

You should definitely let the other half have his Fiat 500 and keep the CC all to yourself.
Now: Audi TT Mk1 1.8T quattro (225)
Then: Peugeot 206cc 2.0 (Black/Silver special edition)

Dav1ey

Post by Dav1ey »

Yeah I think he should have his little 500C and we are in discussions about new cars, I want an Evoque but have to see if funds allow. But very happy with my Pug right now so no urgency. :wave: