General problems with 206

Electrical 206CC problems
rjn239

Post by rjn239 »

Seeing as I am new to the forum I just want to say hello to everyone before my post :),
I am hoping that some of you may be able to help me with some of my occuring problems with my 206.
Basically the first problem is the air bag light is always on and when i start the engine i get the annoying beep and the air bag warning light remains on, is there a common fix to this? Also my car doesn't alert me when I haven't got my seat belt on, should it do this? and could this be linked to the reason that the air bag light is on? if so how would i go about fixing such problem?
Furthermore the oil level gauge keeps flashing at me indicating a fault, is there a fix to this or any known common issues?
Thanks in advanced.
Ryan.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Hi Ryan,
Welcome to the forum. Its best to give as much info about your car as possible please. Year, model, mileage, petrol or diesel etc. Which model 206 have you got? How long have you owned it?
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

rjn239

Post by rjn239 »

Thanks for your reply,
It is a Peugeot 206 Style 1.1 litre on a 03 plate running unleaded fuel. The milleage is near enough 46,000 and I have purchased the car second hand in February and previous to that it has had 2 other owners.
When I brought the car it came with the airbag fault and have read numerous articles on the internet that say something about a seatbelt pretensioner and an orange wire, however I can't seem to find any such thing, which is why I have turned to you for help :)

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Sorry Ryan, I'm only familiar with the 206cc, not with your car. I've had the air bag stay on in our 206cc and a bit of waggling of the wires under the drivers seat has normally sorted iy - not very technical. There could of course be a real problem with the air-bag but I don't know how you would diagnose this.

The oil level gauge problem would indicate a faulty oil level/temperature sensor if you are sure your oil level and temperature is correct. I presume you've checked the dipstick? The sensor on your car is fitted on the front side of the cylinder block adjacent to the oil filter housing. Replacement is just a matter of disconnecting the wiring, unscrewing the switch from the block and replacing it with a new one, ensuring that any sealing washer is in good condition or replaced at the same time. Access is probably easiest from underneath the car. Be prepared for oil spillage.

I don't know whether your car has seat belt warnings.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

cheekee

Post by cheekee »

I know this may sound silly but on the 206 cc, the oil guage keeps flashing when the oil levels are getting low.

Please dont take offence, but have you checked the oil level using the disptick test.
Last edited by cheekee on Sun May 30, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

52nd of February

Post by 52nd of February »

rjn239 wrote:Seeing as I am new to the forum I just want to say hello to everyone before my post :),
I am hoping that some of you may be able to help me with some of my occuring problems with my 206.
Basically the first problem is the air bag light is always on and when i start the engine i get the annoying beep and the air bag warning light remains on, is there a common fix to this? Also my car doesn't alert me when I haven't got my seat belt on, should it do this? and could this be linked to the reason that the air bag light is on? if so how would i go about fixing such problem?
Furthermore the oil level gauge keeps flashing at me indicating a fault, is there a fix to this or any known common issues?
Thanks in advanced.
Ryan.
Hi Ryan,

I'm sorry this is a little late, hope you still see it!

My 206CC had this EXACT problem soon after I bought it - the problem was totally rectified with a new battery. I took it to the dealer and they ran diagnostics on it (basically, plugged a laptop in and charged me $75 :censored: ). They explained to me that because the battery power was so low, the alternator was kicking in to try and boost voltage, which caused a 'spike' in the voltage. This voltage spike is very damaging to ECU's in the car, and triggers what the dealer called "phantom faults" - certain ECU's throw up a fault that the main ECU does not register.

Long story short - try a brand new battery (and possibly an ECU reset by the dealer - they had to reset mine too)

I've never had the problem since.
Hope this helps!

As for the seatbelt warning not coming on, I'm not sure, may be because it displays "AIRBAG FAULT" instead, mine seems to display only one warning when switched on - for instance if I have low petrol (quite regularly lol) and havent put my seatbelt on yet, it will display "FUEL LEVEL LOW" and thats it but I haven't paid that close attention... ?