Catalytic Converter Problem - please help!!

All your other probs if any.
GeordieLad

Post by GeordieLad »

Hi there,

I've got a "Catalytic Converter Fault". Here's more info...

This morning I reversed my 206cc out of my garage. It seemed cold from start, a bit of stuttering with vibrations. It sometimes does this on colder mornings or if I haven't driven it for a few days. After five minutes on the road it usually settles down and is fine.

However today I left the engine running while I went to shut the garage door. When I was about five feet away I heard a noise like the engine was going to stall but... it didn’t and kept on running - although still quite stuttery. When I got back in the car the message "Catalytic Converter Fault" was on the dash.

OTHER INFORMATION

About two years ago I had an "Anti pollution fault" message on dash. This disappeared after an hour and has never came back since (fingers still crossed!).

Just the other day (Sat 3rd Nov) I reversed my 206cc out of the garage on Saturday while I fixed my bike and it (the car) was fine. When I drove the car back into the garage I slowed down and it stalled quite badly. I quickly re-started the engine and moved forward the final foot before switching off. I'm sure I DID NOT see the
"Catalytic Converter Fault" until Monday morning (5th Nov). The car had not been driven properly since Friday 2nd Nov.

I've read on this site that the "Catalytic Converter Fault" might dissapear. Well, it might do, but in the mean time:-

1) Is is safe to drive with the "Catalytic Converter Fault"?
2) I only have 22,000 miles on the clock the car isa 2004 model. Is it likely to be the actual cat or some other fault (your best guess :-)
3) Am I getting the dreaded 2 litre "tappet" problem? (the stuttering engine at start up?).

Any advice would be appreciated.

GeordieLad

Post by GeordieLad »

UPDATE... UPDATE... UPDATE... UPDATE...

It's now just over three hours since I first got the "CATALYTIC CONVERTER FAULT" message.

I've just been to the car park and started the car a few times. The Cat fault appeared two more times then was replaced by "ANTIPOLLUTION FAULT" and is the only fault now showing.

I notice the small orange engine symbol above the speedo is no longer flashing like it was when I had the "CATALYTIC CONVERTER FAULT". Like I said in my original post - I had the "ANTIPOLLUTION FAULT" a few years ago but its never appeared again until today.

I intend to get it serviced soon but would rather no warning lights be on as I think this might mean a higher bill. Hopefully the "ANTIPOLLUTION FAULT" will dissapear soon and I will be error free!! I get more error messages from my car than I do from Windows XP (and that's saying something :-)

Any advice still appreciated

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your problems.

I infer from your comments that your car is due (overdue?) for a service. If so I'd get that done and get the fault codes read while they are at it. I understand what you mean about a higher bill but it does need sorting doesn't it?

Good luck, Ron
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

GeordieLad

Post by GeordieLad »

Thanks Ron,

I will get it serviced, but isn't it a shame we all seem to think they (the machanics :mfight: / the management:hyper:) just make things up and charge what they like (say good bye to your money :wave:).

How do we 'really know' what is wrong and what they just 'stick on' or 'make up' to get a few more £££'s from us?

(me looking at the bill :yikes:).

Anyway - I've got a new error message now (I am getting more errors from my car than my PC :-)

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE....

Both the 'CATALYTIC CONVERTER FAULT' and the 'ANTIPOLLUTION FAULT' have GONE! They dissapeared last night when I started the car to come home (the same day they started!). I drove to work today and everything was fine. I then drove home and everything was fine until I heard the dreaded BEEP BEEP BEEP and saw "AIRBAG FAULT"! AArrgg :censored:

This must be a sensor / ECM problem?

Surely the Airbag, Cat and Antipollution (thingy) cant all have developed a fault within the same 48 hours?

Just after some guidance so I know I'm not getting charged the earth.

Anyone had similar experiences? Id love to hear from you.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Very occasionally we get the Airbag Fault come up, usually when the driver's seat has been moved. I've found that feeling under the seat and waggling the wire that is under it solves the problem. Don't ask me why though.
I agree with what you say about dealers. But sometimes one has to involve them as cars are becoming so dependant on the intellectual knowledge built into the fault readers that only they have.
Good luck.
Ron
Ron

Shell-e

Post by Shell-e »

Hi,

I am having a problem with this. So much so I just want to torch my car!

I had the Cat warning fault sign come up and the AA rescured me Monday, car was driving slower, jumpy and not performing as it should.

Took it to a garage who said its the cat converter but after doing testing said the engine is misfiring and that I need to replace the coil pack. This has been done today, with the spark plugs. It was last serviced in September 2007. Anyway they put it though the MOT whilst there as its due and its failed on brakes and exhaust. They have said they have to replace the WHOLE cat / exhaust system as it is not available in parts - is this true?

I am worried the garage is trying to have me over. This car has given me nothing but problems and if it wasnt for the finance I would get rid of it. Its so bad.

Anyway it is drinking petrol and killing me, I put £45 in Tuesday and today, Friday it is asking for more petrol - no one seems to know what the problem is and I just havent got any money to sort it I am so upset I want to cry the whole time!

Can someone please help?

Or give me anything to try or explain what it could be?

Main probs are:
Fuel loss
Jumpy, slow and shaky when driving
At lights yesterday whilst engine running it was shaking badly
The converter fault light came on but went once aa re set it

Thanks in advance, really need some help - anyone that has an idea please let me know!

supershelleym@hotmail.co.uk

Also how would I know if it would fail due to the exhaust on the MOT? Will it say on the paper?

Shell-e

Post by Shell-e »

Oh and I would liek to point out, I bought it in March and had a terrible time with Peugeot. My dad took the car back and said the exhaust sounded tinny but they said it was fine, they sold me it with a broken seat belt as well as many other problems which have taken months to sort. They basically told me to go away last time and they will not deal with me anymore. That was April / May time and I know they wont do nothing now as its been so long.

GeordieLad

Post by GeordieLad »

For more information about this problem follow the link below...

http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic ... 983#p99983

macx61

Post by macx61 »

Same problem here! I have a 2.0ltr cc SE on an '02 plate and 51,000 miles. I got the dreaded 'Catalytic Converter Fault' displayed last week (and very uneven running, nearly stalling) quickly followed by the 'Antipollution Fault'. A trip to the local Peugeot dealer and a diagnostic test (£130) told them that it needed a new set of plugs and a new coil pack. These were duly fitted at a total cost of £260. Problem solved....... for about 2 days when the same warnings and faults re-appeared!
I decided to drive it back to the dealer to see what the next step would be, but before driving it down there I read on this forum somewhere about damp getting into the engine after washing the car, well it hasn't been washed but before the faults first developed it rained quite hard with a lot of wind gusts, so I got a can of WD40 and sprayed the entire engine especially around the area below the vent (grey box?) I also put in a premium grade fuel ( I normally use premium grade but was caught short last week and had to use a cheaper petrol) Coincidence or not but within a minute or so of driving the 'engine fault' light went out, along with any faults displayed, and hasn't reappeared since. It's only been a day or two since I did this so it's early yet but so far so good. Hope this works for anybody else who has this problem as it seems to be a common problem that Peugeot just won't recognise or acknowledge. Anybody else have any experience with damp or poor fuel which may lead to this problem?

ice

Post by ice »

Hello,

looking for a bit of help with my car. This is my first time writing but have read that some of you's have the same problem as myself.

I bought the 206cc on feb of this year and was great till June.

Since then it has been in the garage ten times or more. The anti-pollution and cat convertor warning light keep coming on. The car shrudders and vibrates like nobody's business when the warning lights are on. The lights come on one after the other.

When going to work the other day, the engine cut out & when I was on the motorway the car would not go over 50 for most of the journey, at one point it gradually reduced speed itself, which the pedal could not be pushed any further down to the floor.

The car has had two new coil packs & spark plugs. Several version of new software. Valves have been done and also hydraulic buckets and still have same problem. I am starting to get agonied now with the car. The dealer said he does not know what is wrong with it.

Any help would be very very much appreciated.

Ice.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Hi ice,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your problems.
Which model?, what year?, how many miles?, supermarket petrol?, is it garaged or does it stand outside in all this wind and rain?, are you using a proper Peugeot franchised garage?
Ron
Ron

sa female driver

Post by sa female driver »

hi guys

greetings from sunny South Africa. i've been visiting your website frequently these last few weeks.

i have the same issues.

my 2L 206cc is a 2004 model.

the last two months i've been getting an "overheat warning" as well as the "anti-pollution fault".

the thermostat has been replaced twice...yet, i still sometimes get the overheat message...even within the 1st mile of my journey!

my car cuts out on me regularly...at traffic lights or even while driving.

i've had it to two dealerships for quotes... their findings were complete opposites... the quotes varied from GBP1,000 to GBP1,500... labour excluded...

it is clear that they have no idea what is wrong with my car... i've even asked Peugeot SA head office for assistance... they don't get back to me.

then i heard about another garage that only fixes french cars... they had my car for a week.. they told me it's probably a loose/dirty connection and that I shouldn't allow the dealerships to replace any parts...as it would be money well wasted.

they checked all the wiring...and only charged me for labour (GBP100).... my car was fine for a week.. when the anti-pollution message returned.

i'm sure they are on the right track...i wish they can just find the problem!

any help will be much appreciated... my car sleeps in a garage... we don't get much rain in SA... it's still summer... so moist/cold can't be the problem.

regards

vickyb

Post by vickyb »

hi Geordie lad and shell-e
i know this may of been a while since you had this prob but im havin exactly the same and its drivin me mad had a guy come out n do a diagnsotic check on it n said to replace the crank sensor done that n it hasnt made any diff, now ive been told it could be the cat has collapsed or it might need new spark plugs
im just wondering did you ever get yours sorted and what did you need to do????
many thanks

also shell-e my god i dont know how many times ive wanted to torch this car god its drivin me insane ive had so many probs with but i did experience it was using far too mach petrol and it smells that bad of petrol i though it was going to blow up the smell was so strong you couldnt have the windows open.....one night i filled it up and i thought the petrol tank had burst there was petrol gushing out form the tank underneath... .... went to the peugeot dealer TWICE and told them the petrol tank was leakin and using far too much petrol and they told me i must have a heavy foot!!! i knew there was a leak but they wouldnt do anything about it so i wrote to watchdog and my local papers but they replied sayng that because i was the only case they would not look into it ( i was foaming)
:firedevil: :firedevil: my dads mate had a look and the where the sender goes into the tank it was deformed and out of place he was told that when peugoet make the care if they take the sender unit out, the top of the tank goes out of shape and this is what had happened!! iev had nothing but bother with this car but i hope your guys managed to get yours fixed (or got rid hahaha) hopefully you can give me advice on what to do???
many thanks
fellow geordie girl vicky

oh sorry just realised i didnt say which model 1.6 206cc 2004
Last edited by vickyb on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

The South African lady's car was the coolant temperature sensor.
See:
http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?id=10602
Ron

vickyb

Post by vickyb »

thanks grandad monkey is that also known as the ECM someone mentioned that to me but i cant remember the proper name for it? the only thing is mine isnt actually coming up saying it is overheatin im only getting auto pollution and cat converter malfunction messages
many thanks
vicky
Last edited by vickyb on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.