Flat spot on acceleration

Exhausts, Air filters and the like.......
apgandy

Flat spot on acceleration

Post by apgandy »

Hi, now I have a 1.6cc and the thing runs and starts fine but once into second gear and beyond it is very flat power wise until you reach 3k rpm and above? Ticks over at 850rpm no problem starting but just feels like there is no torque unless you rev its nuts off. Lots of torque in first but then goes flat until you reach much high rpm. Thinking maybe a tps reset as I don't think its the coil packs but maybe someone could help with this. Tia.

IanL

Re: Flat spot on acceleration

Post by IanL »

I would first check the air filter element, the inlet air pressure/temp sensor and the crankshaft position sensor for cleanliness.

rhume

Post by rhume »

Based on my recent experience I would check the plugs as well.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find myself the owner of 2 silver Peugeots: 206cc Allure and a 4007 (7 seat 4x4)

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
I would check the plugs and perform a compression test while you are there. Air filter unlikely, but no harm checking.
Assuming its not mechanical then I would if possible on this model; reset the ECU so the TPS and some aspects of timing and fueling are re-learnt.
A bottle of injector cleaner on a low tank of fuel followed by a 70MPH burn on the motorway can only harm your pocket.
Cheers,
Iain.
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.

apgandy

Post by apgandy »

Thanks spitfire6 but have checked the usual things and no not mechanical just abit lethargic in second if you lose revs! Like I said been too use to turbo diesel power delivery as it goes pretty dam well but it dose it higher into the rev band.

rhume

Post by rhume »

Took me a while to relearn the joys of high revving 16v engines. My previous cars have for the last 10 yrs have all been 2.2L turbo diesels and 2L petrol turbos.

Quite like the fact I can drive the 206 at a sensible pace and it just chugs along but can get a bit more fun once over 4000 revs. :)

Drives much better with the new plugs though.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find myself the owner of 2 silver Peugeots: 206cc Allure and a 4007 (7 seat 4x4)

apgandy

Post by apgandy »

Yes its a nippy little car and with a small tweak here and there handle quite well for todays roads. Wouldn't want to use one for motorway work though but then there isn't any in the highlands.