spotlights

Bodykits, alloy bits'n'pieces etc etc
apgandy

spotlights

Post by apgandy »

Wanted some long range spotlights but something to match the car! Difficult to find decent enough halogen spots these days as everything is led and although nothing against led's as I use them in low beam they don't tend to fire a great distance like halogen or hid. Anyway I found these little 4" pencil beam spots that I colour coded and refitted with h3 100watt bulbs. Wired to the main beams they give very good range for there size and to me look pretty good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spitfire6

Re: spotlights

Post by Spitfire6 »

Nicely done.
Easy to fit?
Did you use relays, if so where did you take the main power from?
Cheers,
Iain.
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

You might want to check the laws as I think 55w is the max you can use/fit legally on the road ...

Spitfire6: I took a relay feed from the main positive feed in the engine fuse box via a separate fuse box.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

apgandy

Post by apgandy »

Regarding wattage of add on driving lights/ spotlights the power can be pretty much anything you see fit just as long as they are correctly spaced and are only activated inline with high beams!! Factory fitted headlights are governed by the laws of 55watt max high or low beams.
Cheers for the comments spitfire6, Yes very easy to fit but with wiring at the moment are wired inline with the high beams after checking output on this circuit. Its fine but would rather use a relay system with separate power supply but due to the way the headlamps are wired it seems the conventional method using high beam positive for trigger wire is not viable? Im sure there must be a configuration that works with relay but still searching.

IanL

Post by IanL »

You could use the high beam positive through a spotlamp control switch to the operating coil of a relay, the other end of which is earthed, and then wire the relay contacts to supply positive from the battery through an inline fuse to the spots, with the other end of the spots taken to earth.

Your new relay would only operate if the headlamps were on high beam and the control switch was to ON. This adds almost no extra current through the BSI relays and fuses for the headlamps.

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
I think that the wattage thing is due to higher power bulbs not being e marked.
For the main beam, I see no problem as you will not be blinding other drivers.

For the main feed to relay I would take a fused feed from alternator connection if easy to get to.

If it's not easy to connect a relay, is this because of the 206 switches the ground feed? If so, just connect coil between + and neg switched wire to the main beam?

Historically I would choose a higher watt lamp like the 100 watts & not, e type bulb.
Today I would use an LED lamp that draws over two amps & is bright as ****. I would not use a non e type LED bulb as dipped as they will get you in trouble. Main beam- no problem on a spot.

Cheers,
Iain.
Last edited by Spitfire6 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
G6SBH.

apgandy

Post by apgandy »

To IanL as spitfire6 said the wiring system dosnt operate in the conventional way as I found out so unless I see a wiring diagram giving an alternative I wouldn't have a clue at the moment. Im ok with this stuff but would prefer not to damage he original wiring system. Leds are pretty good but would rather stay with halogen as less hassle! although I do have 75watt hid ballast's and bulbs to convert but these are pretty bright as is with h3's if not a little orange lol

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
just checked the circuit diagram. Headlamps are switched live like most cars.
You just need to connect the coil terminal to one main beam feed.
Waterproofed Scothlok would do. Not as Spawn of gash as it sounds!

Cheers,
Iain.
G6SBH.

apgandy

Post by apgandy »

strange as this is what I tried and it turned the spots on when connected with no lights or ignition on?

apgandy

Post by apgandy »

This is the circuit I used.
relay1.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

The circuit is correct mate.
G6SBH.

IanL

Post by IanL »

Yes, the headlamps are switched live according to the SEDRE. The controlling relay is in the BSI and the polarity is clear on the BSI circuit diagram, and the headlamp wiring diagram.

Your connections shown are correct. Have you checked that there is zero volts on terminal 86 when the main beam is off? Also check the relay contacts for correct operation with an ohmmeter (perhaps the relay is stuck ON).

apgandy

Post by apgandy »

Cheers for the pointers! have a spare couple of relays so will check with them as well. Using the above method I just got live continuous?

apgandy

Post by apgandy »

Wouldn't be anything to do with this multiplex wiring would it?

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
The diagram I looked at was for VANBus/CANBUS etc. In any case, I doubt powering a coil from any lamp source would cause a computer to register.
Suspect the relay.. Is a strange one as I cannot see how it is possible to miss wire & get your symptoms.
Cheers,
Iain.
G6SBH.