GTI180 retractable mirrors on a CC

Bodykits, alloy bits'n'pieces etc etc
CHamoisShine

GTI180 retractable mirrors on a CC

Post by CHamoisShine »

Hello Guys, newbie on here, but been trolling this sitefor a while. Anyhoo, I have just ordered a set of gti180 electrically folding wing mirrors and switch. I know I know they wont fit, but I'm going to try and mod them to do so. There are a few guides around on how to convert standard 206 mirrors to 206cc mirrors, and other guides on how to convert gti180 mirros/switch to fit a standard 206 - so Im gonna try it.

I will try and post a photo guide if successful! - wish me luck!
2007 206cc Obsidian Black - Ra mapped to 145BHP - Morette Lights, SP Grills, Arches and a Spoiler. HID headlights. Chrome back lights and fog lights LED Rear fog, brake and tail lights. GTI180 wing mirrors, Cream leather interior and a windbreak. Owned and loved this car for 8 years!

Luditus

Re: GTI180 retractable mirrors on a CC

Post by Luditus »

Great idea. I could do with such a conversion. Good luck, and please keep it simple.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Doubt if the loom is there to handle them
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

CHamoisShine

Post by CHamoisShine »

Update no.1

The Mirrors have arrived, albeit without the appropriate switch. a quick email, and a surprising 2 minute positive response later , I should receive the switch tomorrow!
2007 206cc Obsidian Black - Ra mapped to 145BHP - Morette Lights, SP Grills, Arches and a Spoiler. HID headlights. Chrome back lights and fog lights LED Rear fog, brake and tail lights. GTI180 wing mirrors, Cream leather interior and a windbreak. Owned and loved this car for 8 years!

CHamoisShine

Post by CHamoisShine »

update 2 - stage 1 - installing the mirrors

Right The Mirrors are on, and they look great, and without the switch, they just work as normal electrically adjustable heated mirrors.

my next post will have a few pictures of the install. Ive tried keeping it simple. but a few caveats first.

1) Do this at your own risk
2) My CC is a 2007 07 with the Black/Orange mirror connectors
3) the GTI180 Mirrors also have Black Orange connectors
4) The part number for the outer mirror caseing is the same on both items
5) at this stage I dont know if the retraction option will work :o - please check below when I'm done
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CHamoisShine

Post by CHamoisShine »

update 3 - Install procedure

You will need
1) Torx t20 Screwdriver
2) Soldering Iron/Solder (or your own proffered non bulky method for joining wires)
3) electrical insulation tape
4) Craft Knife
6) Small pot/tray for the screws/bits
7) sharpie/permanent marker
8) A towel to put the GTI180 Mirror on whilst working on it - you wouldnt want to scratch the shiny case :no:

Right then - off we go

Remove Mirror from door - There are so many videos and instructionals on the internet for this I won't go into detail - other than - don't forget the 4th screw at the top, easily missed as its different from the other 3, but they are all T20 - Oh and don't forget to support the mirror unit when undoing last screw! :facepalm:

Do the following few steps on both mirrors (original and replacement)

Remove small grommet from underneath mirror hinge point and undo the 3 screws in the 3 holes. The separates the main mirror housing from the door mount. - see image 1
Rubber.jpg
Remove 2 screws from the door mounting plate one holds the plate to the plastic trim, the other holds the cable guide in place- see image 2
mountingplate screws.jpg
Unclip plastic cable guide - you will need to slide up the rubber grommet that looks like a hat. and you will find two clips. lift the clips and the guide should open. - See image 3 and 4
remove guideand gromet.jpg
unclip guide.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CHamoisShine on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CHamoisShine

Post by CHamoisShine »

update 4 - install continues

Mark the corner brown wire with a permanent marker/sharpie. there are two the same, and once we cut the wires, we want to put them back in the right order. If you are doing the passenger side, then you may need to do the same with the two black wires - they ar for the temp sensor. - See image 5
mark wires.jpg
About an 1 1/2 Inches from the connector - Cleanly cut all the wires :o :o :o

You should now be able to separate the two halves of the mirror unit.

From this point, its re-assembly, you will need
GTI180 Mirror Housing
GTI180 Connector
CC metal door mount
CC door mount trim/cover

ensure the CC door mount and trim are fitted together (without screw) and thread cable through square hole - see image 6 and then behind plate and through the hole that the cable guide was attached to - you may have to separate slightly the plate from the trim to help it through.
put wire through base.jpg
Attach the GTI180 housing to the door mount unit using the 3 screws removed earlier. and replace rubber cover

Take the Hat shaped grommet and cut the end to widen the small hole to put the wires through - just needs to be a little wider to get them all through easily. - see image 7
cut gromit.jpg
Put wires through grommet (ensuring you do this with the grommet facing right direction and then strip about .5 cm from each wire and the same again on the GTI180 connector. you may need to remove some of the existing tape to free the wires a little. See image 8
wire through gromit 1.jpg

CHamoisShine

Post by CHamoisShine »

Update 6 - Install continues

Solder or join the wires back to their counter parts on the connector. and then insulate the individual wires with electrical tape. and then then wrap the whole lot with insulation tape - See image 9 and 10
solderinsulate wire.jpg
more insulat.jpg
Move the Rubber grommet to the connector end of the cable and re attach the plastic cable guide

Put mount cable guide onto the door plate - and screw in (line up the clip first) and then slide the grommet back towards the cable guide - it only fits one way, with the lump roughly lining up with the 2 mounting holes at the base of the plate see image 11
lineup gromit.jpg
Its now ready to attach to car. - the reverse of detaching! and test!
jobdone.jpg
All being well, it should all work as a normal mirror - now do the other side. But before you do, wait until I get the switch to work.

I did note that on my model, all the wires were connected on the connector in the door, so fingers crossed, I may not have to do to much to get the switch working.

I have seen a few examples of people getting the GTI180 mirror on a standard 206, my big fear was not getting the mirrors to attach to the cc - so I am quietly confident that it will work. I'm toying with the idea of spraying the door mount trim to gloss black to match the mirror - just like on the GTI180. Also toying with the idea of a carbon fibre wrap on the roof square to match the mirror caps. :scratch:

CHamoisShine

Post by CHamoisShine »

Update 7 - Disaster!!!

Well not quite. New switch arrived. swapped out for old switch in the hope that the wiring is in place already. but no!!!! even worse none of the functions of the switch work apart from passenger window.

So plug old unit back in - and both windows work - yay. but non of the movement in the mirrors function. Boo!

Had to go out , and when on the way back, went to put roof down...Nothing!

Get home find fuse has blown - have you ever tried to find the wing mirror fuse on a 206 - just to let you know its fuse no 9 under the steering wheel- 30a Down as either rear windows (hatch/sw) or pump motor (cc)

I originally suspected broken switch, but a bit of sniffing round finds that some switches are incompatible with a cc -and I guess that the GTi180 switch is one of them

So plan B - I have to work out how to activate the fold function. Its just 2 wires - so can assume 1 of 2 methods.

I know its not BSI controlled based on other sites I have looked at.

so its either

2 wires which will work as - one on 12v other on 0v/gnd to fold in. and the reverse to fold out

or

it already uses the earth in the mirror and one 12v feed fold out and the other 12v feedto fold in.

play time tomorrow I guess. Either way a simple DPDT switch on the dash should sort it.

Stay posted!

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Hmmm, think I'll stick to my motto...
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Slo

Post by Slo »

You will probably need to enable the function in the bsi as it will be controlled by it.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

But will the older CC ecu have the later options?
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Slo

Post by Slo »

Not the phase 1, I wouldn't have thought so without extra wires anyway but he has a 2007 model and im sure ive seen the option in pp2k
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

CHamoisShine

Post by CHamoisShine »

Right - Sorry for the short hiatus. A week long trip to Cornwall with the DH ensured no playing with the mirrors for a short while.

However, within 30 mins of getting back today, I popped off the wiring cover inside the door. Identified the 2 extra wires and went for it. I got a two core wire, connected one end to the battery, and popped the other end into the mirror wiring block. (seems a little risky, but whilst on holiday, I looked up wiring diagrams of 406 folding mirrors and how they worked)

The Mirror folded!

reversed the polarity

The mirror unfolded!!

And now - the unexpected bit. As I described earlier, the loom seemed to have all the wires in place to support the folding function. well the correct pins ARE wired, so when I activated the one mirror, the other mirror went at the same time. WooHoo!!! :excite:

So here's what I am going to do.

I'm going to get a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch and mount it on the top of the door card close to the mirror wiring, and use that as a mirror fold control, it seems a more logical, and easier to access place than twirling a knob under the handbrake. When your hurtling down a Devon lane and a tractors coming the other way, speed is of the essence.

When the switch arrives, Ill post an update. going to have to run a 12 v feed to the door for the switch. Looks like its going to cost me less than £5 to get sorted. (on top of the £70ish for the mirrors)

But it looks like the BSI is not involved. The easiest way to check if you can do this on your own CC is to look at the wiring loom connector for the mirror. if its fully wired, then you can do what I do.

Stay posted

CHamoisShine

Post by CHamoisShine »

Well its all done and sorted. :clap: :rotfl: :trumpet: No more photos as it was dark and raining - I hate it when the nights start drawing in.

it was as simple as planned. most complicated part was working out a suitable location for the switch that is easy to reach when driving and has an inch clearance behind it, oh and snaking the wire through the loom tube from the boody to the door. Mounted it on the curvy bit to the right of the dash air vent.

My choice but it cost me £10 as I decided I wanted a waterproof switch as I was mounting it on the door card close to the window. it also looked better if a little old school.

I decided to take the power off a permanent live feed as its useful to be able to fold in and out once the ignition is off.

Will supply photos of finished job later. and will try and sort out a video of them working.

Might even attemp a basic drawing of the switch wiring. simple, but even easier if you have a drawing.

So project cost total £85 including mirrors, switch and wire!