How to spray your front badge

Bodykits, alloy bits'n'pieces etc etc
craigdmjv

How to spray your front badge

Post by craigdmjv »

As the title suggests this is a how to, on respraying your front badge for that extra bit of personalisation...

What you will need

1 Front badge I'd advise getting hold of a spare one and changing them over as opposed to painting your existing one, unless of course you don't mind driving around without a front badge for a few days.

1 Pack of assorted wet and dry emery cloths, I'd advise using the Halfords assorted pack with variations from 240 to 1200 grit.
1 tin of plastic primer
1 tin of your chosen coloured paint
1 tin of laquer
1 small flat headed screwdriver

Step 1.

The first step is to remove the chrome components from the main badge assembly.

In this guide I have only done the lion however the same principal applies to the lip aswell.

Turn the badge over so that the lion is facing away from you, you will be able to see a series of prongs from the lion. These are what hold it to the main assembly. To release the lion for painting take a small flat headed screwdriver and gently push the plastic grips away from the prongs. Be very carefull, too aggressive and you risk either breaking the prong or a grip.

when all the grips have been persuaded away fromt the prongs apply gentle pressure to the prongs working your way around the lion to full free it.

Picture of prongs
Picture of the assmble with holes

Stage 2.
You then need to key your lion with the sandpaper going from rough paper to smooth, this allows the paint to stick. Once keyed you need to clean and dry the badge fully.
Stage 3.
Shake the can vigorously for a few mins to mix paint. You can now spray the badge with plastic primer in light coats (I done 3) and make sure you don't spray the badge too close as this will cause runs. allow to dry for about 15 -30 mins between coats and leave for 24 hours.
Stage 4.
You can now apply the chosen paint colour using same method as primer leave for 24 hours.
Stage 5.
Use same method as paint and primer for lacquer leave to dry for 24 - 48 hours
Stage 6.
reassemble the badge and put it back on the car. :D

this guide was taken for 206info, also always spray in well ventilated areas e.g. outside in the garden.

heres mine finished and back on the car (not in pink)