Parcel shelf jamming and stopping boot from closing, roof open

All your roof problems here.
TooManyCars

Parcel shelf jamming and stopping boot from closing, roof open

Post by TooManyCars »

Hi,

My son's car is a 2004 with the later mechanism (no release pull cord on the boot mechanism for manual operation). We had some fun with beeps when driving with the roof down. Long story short, this was fixed by replacing the PCB assembly that contains three micro switches with one from a breakers in Germany! They do seem to be rare. I did cheat a bit by running the cable on a non standard route as the connector won't pass through the gap behind the metal cross bar. I'm pretty certain this isn't impacting on anything.

The roof worked first time and didn't beep when driving. Progress!!

However, when I tidied everything up (mostly refitting the vertical plastic trim panel that hides some of the mechanism), the boot would not close with the roof down. It sounded like it was straining against something. Removing the trim panel fixed that problem, so for now the car is running without the trim until we get the time to investigate further. Set up like this, the roof is opening and closing fine, with no drive-time beeping!

I think that the rotating parcel shelf is getting jammed against this internal trim item, but I can't see how.

Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Philip

IanL

Re: Parcel shelf jamming and stopping boot from closing, roof open

Post by IanL »

That's interesting. I had the opposite experience - I removed the trim because I wanted to observe the mechanism in motion, and the roof wouldn't work! Replaced the trim and all is well. I can't understand why it would not work without the trim. It will be interesting if you can shed light on it, when you tackle your issue.

Broz04

Re: Parcel shelf jamming and stopping boot from closing, roof open

Post by Broz04 »

hi!
I have the same problem. Im opening the roof, windows come down and roof goes into boot and then parcel shelf is next to come out of boot but it not. Its hydraulics are whining and like parcel shelf is jammed. Then I force it out and pull it by hands and only when I press down on parcel shelf I hear click of a microswitch. So I tried opening while pressing down on parcel shelf and boot is closing. Now there is also problem that car beeps after I open roof that way. Im sure I closed it completely because I hear that one sound when opening/closing is finished. Maybe some of that switches I pressured to open it need to be closed while driving with open roof so it is beeping because of that, idk?

Thanks for help if someone knows the solution.