roof help plz!

All your roof problems here.
gio

roof help plz!

Post by gio »

hello..

2 days ago i saw a 206cc (2001) for sale for a cheap price.
after seeing the milage was only 48000 and it had full service history i decided to buy it as i needed a small runabout.
Today i used the button inside to lower the roof and later raised it again.
Im not sure exactly when but some time later a beeping noise conitued as i drove then stopped when stationary.
I googled what it may be and found it may be roof related.
i tried to open the roof and hey presto it did not open.
i did some more googling.
i thought perhaps i could manually open then close it and see if that helped to cure it as it seemed to open and close really well earlier today when it worked.
i loosened the hydraulic fluid valve, managed to get the roof open and then closed it.
however... the 2 latches either side that seemed to hold the boot lid and roof mechanism tight before seems reluctant to fasten. it looks connected to the hydraulics.
I may have turned the engine off and removed keys during this process i cant remember..
i figure i need to get these 2 latches to do their job and latch onto the boot lid and then check again to see if there is still an issue.
am i right in saying the hydraulic pressure needs to be altered somehow as it seems to be what moves the latches.
does anyone have some idea how to do this?..
im struggling to get precise info on google

IanL

Re: roof help plz!

Post by IanL »

Rather than type it all again, please read this thread http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12123. Pay particular attention to the words in red in jocc1's post on the first page.

If that does not work for you, see http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic ... 0&start=24. The relay referred to is inside the hydraulic pump cover in the boot.

TIP: Always run the engine when moving the roof under power, so that the alternator takes the load. Never turn the ignition off in mid-cycle - that will reset the Roof ECU memory, and if the roof is in an intermediate position, the ECU does not seem to be able to "recover". I think the software author did not cater for that situation. Apparently using the relay trick sorts it out, because it bypasses the Roof ECU, and forces the pump to run to complete the cycle.

gio

Post by gio »

thanks thats very helpful.
the first thread didnt work but the second sounds interesting altho i think i will wait till tomorrrow and have a look refreshed and in daylight....

IanL

Post by IanL »

There is an important point in that thread, The boot latches cannot be closed from the roof switch unless the hand-operated roof latches at the top of the windscreen are OPEN. If they are closed, the Roof ECU will not allow the mechanism to run, for obvious reasons.

Btw, Slo is quite correct that you do not need the ignition on when operating the relay by hand, as the power the relay switches is direct from the battery. If it does not work, check F9 in the BSI, and MF4 under the engine compt. fusebox.

As Slo says, the control and microswitches are not in command of the pump, and it will run until the relay is released, so be ready to release it when you hear the latches, and the note changes (which is the pump turning with the rams already at full travel).

Let us know how you get on.

gio

Post by gio »

hi and thanks..
i can now see the pump and relays and i have taken the cover off the relay on the right but i have no idea how to make it work...
do i need to short 2 of the pins or something?
an help would be appreciaited..

IanL

Post by IanL »

No, what you have to do is press the mechanism that is normally moved by the magnetism of the coil winding.

However, before you do that, did you try again with the roof switch, but with the front catches open?

gio

Post by gio »

i cant see any mechanism that i can push.
ive removed a plastic square shaped cap from the second relay.
it has around 5 or 6 square shaped metal pins that fit into the corresponding relay contacts when fitted.
where is this mechanism and what does it look like?

gio

Post by gio »

and yes i did the switch with the roof catches open.
no joy.
altho i imagine even if i succeed in triggering the closing relay, i will still have an issue
i was thinking that the beeping (which stops when stationary may have been due to the car thinking the roof was not closed properly so perhaps a contact, however i would imagine i should still be able to close it if this were the case so figured id just get it all closed properly, check all contacts and try again..

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
I recommend finding somebody with PP2000 HW & SW.
If the roof "fails" a permanent fault is stored in the ECU. It is not displayed to the driver. The roof will not work until it's reset.
IMHO, you need the PP2000 SW & HW to diagnose & reset the roof ECU.
Where are you located?
Cheers,
Iain.
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.

gio

Post by gio »

hi yes i think thats a good idea.
i actually think its something extremely simple.
unfortunately as theres no quick way to identify it, it could take ages finding it.
having removed lining and looked at much of it, im amazed just how immaculate perfect conidition it is still in.
im in manchester
ill try to find what you suggested.
it would be nice to be able to stop the beeping and to operate it electronically

gio

Post by gio »

any idea if theres somewhere / someone nearby?

IanL

Post by IanL »

The Peugeot Planet Map may help.

The beeping is normal if the boot lid catches are not fully closed. The Roof ECU detects that the car is moving (from the speedo signal) and it knows the lid is not fully shut, so it beeps.
Last edited by IanL on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
Manchester is not that far South of me.
I'm willing to meet you tomorrow morning with the PP2000 if you can drive North to get closer to me. BB12 7AT?
Cheers,
Iain.
G6SBH.

gio

Post by gio »

id be happy to drive to that post code except tomorrow i have family coming over and id be very hard pressed to get there and back in good time and id be rushing which may not be the best way to frame of mind to be in..
its very kind of you Ian and id like to drive up some time soon when its convenient for you..
Is there a way I can give you my number without putting it on this forum?

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

PM sent.
G6SBH.