Roof/windows won't go up

All your roof problems here.
Relexer

Roof/windows won't go up

Post by Relexer »

I have the 2001 model and as many of you I have had all kind of roof issues. I was able to fix all of them untill now:

1) When I press the button to get the roof up, everything works normally
2) When I press the button to get the roof down, no beeps, no sounds at all nothing works.

I noticed this issue after I had an issue where my car just wouldn't start. No sounds at all. Lights on the dashboard were working normally.

Another try:
1) Get the windows down
2) Then press the roof up button, but again no sounds nothing. The windows should close.

I pulled out the roof button, it looks fine for me, but I don't know how and which wires to measure if this is an electrical problem or a mechanical problem.

I also can't seem to find this specific error, so I hope someone here has some ideas

IanL

Re: Roof/windows won't go up

Post by IanL »

When you put the roof up, do you get a bong when you close the latches? If not, it could be the switches associated with the latches. Sometimes, a spray with contact cleaner is enough to fix the problem (do not use WD40 - it's a dirt magnet).

Relexer

Post by Relexer »

IanL wrote:When you put the roof up, do you get a bong when you close the latches? If not, it could be the switches associated with the latches. Sometimes, a spray with contact cleaner is enough to fix the problem (do not use WD40 - it's a dirt magnet).
What do you mean a "bong"? When I open the latches to get the roof up, I hear a sound like usual, then my windows go down and the trunk opens... I didn't complete the whole cycle, because I don't want to end up again closing it manual. When I try to close the roof, just nothing happens, no sound at all.

I also checked the fuse, unplugged the battery for a couple of minutes checked the pump and all connections and switches. And after checking also the roof doesn't go up anymore. So perhaps I should first try replacing the roof switch and then test again.

But if someone understands the wiring of the roof switch, then I could try to make it move without the switch...

Slo

Post by Slo »

You only get the "bong" when you open the latches to open the roof, and when the roof has finished closing to let you know its done.

It will be a faulty switch not actuating to tell the roof if its completed a stage or not.

On a side note the roof switch will open all 4 windows to lower but it wont close them after the roof closes, you have to do that manually afterwards.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

IanL

Post by IanL »

I understand that you should not release the operating lever until the roof has completed the cycle. If it stops in mid-cycle, you should release the control and then operate it again IN THE SAME DIRECTION.

I have an idea that, if you try to reverse the direction in mid-cycle, it is not supposed to work. Perhaps the roof ECU knows which cycle it is in, and ignores the wrong selection. I don't care to try it to see whether that is right.

If I am correct, the fact that your roof will not reverse direction after you stop it is not a defect.

I am also confused by your use of "up" and "down". Could you please repeat your symptoms and actions, using the terms "open" and "closed" for the roof.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

If you have disconnected the battery with the roof mid cycle you have probably confused and locked the roof ecu. Reset it with PP
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Relexer

Post by Relexer »

Thanks for the answers.

I have disassembled the roof switch, and within the housing of the momentary button for closing, a small copper plate was bended a bit, while there was no good contact after pushing the buttons.

Fixed it and now I can drive with the sun on my head :D

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Well Done
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.