Roof and windows???

All your roof problems here.
stephen2017

Roof and windows???

Post by stephen2017 »

Just bought a used 206cc. The previous owner was really vague about the operating instructions and the user manual doesn't really help.

The roof goes up and down without a problem.
The windows go up and down without problems... except...

With the car stationary, after the roof goes up, it beeps to signal that that it's finished and I close the latches. The problem is that the windows won't go back up afterwards. I use both switches simultaneously but all i get is a warning beep.

After about 30mins of experimenting, trying all sorts of combinations of windows up or down to start with, ignition on or off, key position, etc, the windows finally go up. So everything works, we just don't know the correct procedure.

So what is the correct sequence/procedure? Should the windows be up or down before I press the roof switch? Should the ignition be on or off? Hand break on? Should the doors be locked? Close one window at a time or simultaneously? Key position in ignition? Is there a set time between closing the roof and closing the windows?

Luckily the sun was still out and we were outside our house when this happened, don't fancy this game if it's beginning to rain.

I'm sure it's something perfectly simple we're not doing right, no doubt everyone is having a right laugh at this, but I do need some advice here.

IanL

Re: Roof and windows???

Post by IanL »

You are not doing anything wrong. The likely problem is that the latch microswitches are not working very well (maybe dirt on the contacts), so the roof ECU thinks the latches are undone, which prevents the windows rising. I suggest using some electrical cleaning spray (e.g. this), which leaves no residue (unlike WD40, so don't use that).
Should the windows be up or down before I press the roof switch? Should the ignition be on or off? Hand break on? Should the doors be locked? Close one window at a time or simultaneously? Key position in ignition? Is there a set time between closing the roof and closing the windows?

Up or down, no matter - if they are up, the roof ECU should lower them before moving the roof. Hand brake - I recommend on, but it makes no difference to the system. Door locks irrelevant. Windows may be raised separately or together, and should function immediately the latches are shut. Ignition should be on, but I recommend that the engine always be run when moving the roof, if only to prevent low voltage from a dicey battery stopping the system during the cycle.

stephen2017

Post by stephen2017 »

Thanks Ian. That look very useful. I'll have a look, Are the latch microswitches easy to get to? Do you know if I have to remove any bits of plastic, etc to get to them?

IanL

Post by IanL »

I haven't had to do it, but the Service Box says you have to remove the windscreen interior top and side trims and the strikers to get access to the switches. But you could perhaps try spraying into the striker holes first.

stephen2017

Post by stephen2017 »

Cheers Ian. I'll give it a go and report back

stephen2017

Post by stephen2017 »

Hi - the contact spray worked wonders. Roof and windows function perfectly now. Cheers :thumbs:

IanL

Post by IanL »

Woo-hoo - Result :thumbs: Very happy to hear that :D

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

:clap: Well done Ian.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)