How to - Topping up hydraulic fluid in roof pump

All your roof problems here.
Green Bubble

Re: How to - Topping up hydraulic fluid in roof pump

Post by Green Bubble »

Thank you, that might come in handy one day!

Michael59

Post by Michael59 »

Hi to all!

I read all this with much interest because I am having the same problem myself that I NEED to top up the oil in my roof pump but I wondered if instead of the procedure of taking the reservoir of the pump etc. it wouldn't be much easier to drill a little hole on the top of that plastic reservoir and then easily top up the oil via this hole... I assume there is no pressure or vacuum in that reservoir so making a little hole and putting in a little plastic plug would do the job, don't you think so?

Please let me know what you all think about my idea.

Awaiting your replies and comments and thanks in advance!

Michael

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I would do the job properly. You run the risk of getting swarf in the pump from drilling the hole, and it may well leak fluid afterwards from your plastic plug.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Michael59

Post by Michael59 »

Hi Capncol, thanks for your comment.

About the risk of getting swarf in the pump I thought about it myself but I reasoned that if I would make a very thin hole, let's say less than 1 mm. just in order to put through the needle of a syringe, the (plastic) swarf could almost be neglected because in the oil there always will be some metal swarf as well due to the normal wearing out of the metal mechanical parts that work in the pump... and if I would make the tiny hole on the upper left part of the reservoir and then afterwards covering it with a good adhesive sticker, I think there would be no risk of leakage at all because the chance that the oil contacts the "ceiling" of the reservoir will be minimum.
I of course agree with you to do jobs properly whenever you can but I am a bit worried of turning the pump and all the tubes that are attached into the vertical position... I think there would be a chance to damage or cause rupture to the tubes that could cause leakage afterwards.
I cannot understand why they had to put in that bearing ball after you unscrew the bolt for topping it up officially... Of course there is no other explanation than the policy to force you to let it do by a Peugeot dealer.

Thanks again and my best regards,
Michael

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

swarf could almost be neglected because in the oil there always will be some metal swarf
How large are the particle of metal compared to bits of plastic from a drilled hole?
I think there would be no risk of leakage at all because the chance that the oil contacts the "ceiling" of the reservoir will be minimum.
There are no speed bumps, humpback bridges or potholes around your way then?

It sounds as if you had already decided to do it that way.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

Michael59

Post by Michael59 »

Hi Capncol, thanks again for your comments!
I have ordered the oil at my local Peugeot dealer and they told me (they looked it up in a reference book) that the oil with part number 9735.57 is not correct for the 206cc but that it is for the 205... I found this strange and instead they ordered for me the Aral Vitamol ZMH oil with part number 9734N0 which is also more expensive. I truly hope they didn't make a mistake...
About the procedure of topping it up, I know that you are right and once the oil arrives I will decide again and see if I can easily turn the reservoir in a vertical position without stressing too much the attached tubes... This will be for me the most scary phase of the whole procedure.
I will let you know of course, have a good day!

Michael59

Post by Michael59 »

I wanted to let you know that I managed to top up the oil successfully according the procedure that Cheekee posted here at the beginning and it's really not that difficult at all. However it didn't solve my problem because I noticed that after I topped up and tested the system by opening the roof, it didn't close anymore... I had to do the manual procedure in order to close it and after inspecting my boot I noticed that there is a significant oil leakage underneath the rear shelf strut... it seems the strut itself is leaking and elsewhere in this forum I read that it may not necessary to change the whole strut but that I just need to change the oil seal.
Therefore, can anyone please tell me where I could order and buy that oil seal?
Many thanks in advance!

PS. I now a constant beeping alarm when I drive because with the manual procedure the upper boot didn't close as it should be... hope anyone can give me any information thanks!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I'm glad you did it properly. It's not that difficult so I couldn't see the value in your proposed short cut.

In answer to your question-
There is more than 1 seal in the rams. I would take the ram off and to your local hydraulic repair shop
(not Pirtek- they are dear) They will be able to test the ram repair the piston or bore if required and replace all the seals and then load test it to make sure it doesn't leak. There are different seal materials (Nitrile / Viton etc:) with differing shore hardness. You can be sure they will use the correct spec seals in your ram.
Don't know where you are but I use a place in Newbury, Berks
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Michael59

Post by Michael59 »

Thank you very much Capncol for your help and advice but alas, I don't live in the UK... I live in Italy, in Sicily :-) So I think there will be no such hydraulic repair shop around... but I will inform of course.
Can you tell me what kind of hydraulic machinery or equipment do those shops in the UK usually repair?
If I know this I could look for similar companies here in the yellow pages...
Do you perhaps know how much a new strut would cost me?
Today I received a suggestion from another fellow on this forum under the topic "Rear shelf strut replacement" to try "pug206cc-spares" on ebay... he wrote that they break 206s and often advertise cc roof parts.
What do you think, would it be advisable to order a second hand strut from them?
I am sorry to bother you again with all my questions but please know that I am really grateful for your any help you can give me! At the moment I feel blue with my 206cc that is not able to open its roof and is beeping constantly... :-)
Many thanks in advice and have a good evening!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Google translate says you should look for "riparazioni idrauliche"
Is this near you ?http://www.cercoimprese.com/web/italia/ ... 3565.html?

You are always taking a risk with second hand parts, especially if ordering from overseas.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Michael59

Post by Michael59 »

Hi Capncol, thank you very much!
Yes, it's not so far from me, and it seems to me that this company repairs electrical hydraulic systems so I could go to them and ask if they will be able to test the ram, repair the piston or bore if required and replace all the seals. If they don't do that then they might give me a suggestion where else to go.
First I will have to take out the ram of course... ;-) :-)
I will let you know if in the end I have succeeded and I agree about the risks of second hand parts.
My best regards and have a good evening!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Good luck.

In future, would you please either start a new thread, or only post in one thread per problem as it starts to get messy when questions are multi posted. Do you want me to merge your ram posts into one thread for you?
Cheers Col.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Michael59

Post by Michael59 »

Yes, Ok, thanks!
But let me know where (the link) you post it.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Choose an appropriate section, e.g. if you have a question about brakes then go to
forum > problems > other, then at the top left is a button "New topic" (it's in the same place as the "post reply" button at the top of this page) click it. Give it a title in the subject field, then type away to your hearts content.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Michael59

Post by Michael59 »

All right Capncol, from now on I will continue to post on the already existing topic:
"Rear shelf strut replacement" on this forum.
Is that Ok?
Cheers, Michael