Key Problem

All your other probs if any.
Lady Python

Key Problem

Post by Lady Python »

My key fob won't open the doors. Looks like the battery's flat. Thought it might be on its way out the other night when I had to get really close to the car before the lock opened.

Problem is, try as I might (and even son has tried and failed) we can't get into the key fob to change the battery. It's almost as if someone's glued the thing together internally.

Any suggestions on how to get it opened without breaking it please? Any attempts with a coin, the plastic just seems to start disintegrating.

IanL

Re: Key Problem

Post by IanL »

Have you removed the screw?

If yes, you can break the case open and get a replacement plastic case on EBay, eg link. Includes new battery and replacement switches if needed.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
The transponder chip is secured separately inside the case lid. You MUST transfer it to the new case, or the car will not start, and you will incur a large expense if it is lost.

Lady Python

Re: Key Problem

Post by Lady Python »

IanL wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:36 pm Have you removed the screw?

If yes, you can break the case open and get a replacement plastic case on EBay, eg link. Includes new battery and replacement switches if needed.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
The transponder chip is secured separately inside the case lid. You MUST transfer it to the new case, or the car will not start, and you will incur a large expense if it is lost.
Yes, we did remove the screw. I'm aware of the transponder as I had to change the whole fob in a car I used to have a few years back. A new case might be the best thing as one of the buttons came off a few months back and it's held in place with a bit of sellotape. The micro switch underneath looks fine.

Thanks for the link - I'll have a look now.