Gears sticking

All your other probs if any.
Joel_edwards

Gears sticking

Post by Joel_edwards »

Hi, I normally do local low mileage/speed journeys and find my gearbox seems to stay in 2nd a bit too long until it changes to 3rd (high revs until it clicks in). This is a bit annoying but I live with it.
I did a motorway journey yesterday so hit the national speed limit for about an hours duration. Once I returned to normal low speed roads my gear changes were all over the place. Pulling away from stationary it just revved at first with no movement for a couple of seconds then clicked in, each gear change thereafter didn’t happen until I hit 4000+ revs and then jolted into gear.
The return journey was exactly the same. Car seemed normal at first, slight over rev between 2nd & 3rd but all ok, motorway at speed was fine but then on low speed roads again all gear changes didn’t happen until 4000+ revs were hit. I’m guessing it will be ok again this morning as normal low speed roads only.
Any suggestions?

IanL

Re: Gears sticking

Post by IanL »

I have not experienced as extreme behaviour, but one run I do has me climbing a long hill at 35-40, where the box has (correctly) selected a low gear (I think 2nd, but it could be 3rd). Then I get onto a level, narrow road and the speed is dropped to 25-30, but the box insists on holding that low gear, with rpm about 3,000. I go to manual, change up, and return to D, and it accepts the "reproof" and behaves itself thereafter.

I think this is caused by the "autoadaptive" programming of the transmission, so I metaphoriically give it a "not now - thank you" and it responds "ah, ok".

I'd be interested if that works for you.

The other possibility arises from the fact that the gear changes are made at higher revs during the warm-up cycle, when the engine is cold, and the mixture rich. If your coolant temperature sensor is reporting low values, that could be having an effect. What does your temperature dial show? If it shows lower values than you'd expect, it could be that the thermostat is not closing sufficiently when it should, such that the system is being overcooled.

Joel_edwards

Post by Joel_edwards »

Thanks for speedy response, I will try ur suggestion of Manually changing gears once I exit motorway, unfortunately it’s not that often I use my car for motorway journeys so it may be a while till I let you know the outcome. With regards to the coolent sensor, I get where ur coming from but the main concern was when I first pulled up at a roundabout off the motorway, so from a standing start, there was no response In movement, just high revving. Surely it should have gone straight into 1st regardless of temperature. I thought my car had died. The temp was about 90 I think but couldn’t swear to this.
Thanks again for the response.

IanL

Post by IanL »

That does sound like a different issue. Have you checked the fluid level is correct?

The procedure is at para 4 here: http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-20 ... ci05k3.htm. Make sure to use the correct fluid as stated, i.e. Esso/Mobil (same company) LT 71141. Do not accept "equivalents" - the box is very sensitive to dodgy fluids.