Car loud noise is now overheating

All your other probs if any.
Wend64

Car loud noise is now overheating

Post by Wend64 »

Any help much appreciated. .I was driving my 206cc 2lt I came off motorway and was sitting in traffic when car made a horrendous lout rattling noise from under bonnet went on for 20-30 sec when I pulled away it stopped ..I got home in morning I checked levels oil was very low drove to work car was fine on the way bk from work I was stuck in traffic after 5 mins I noticed temperature was high sat there thinking fan would kick in but it didn't so pulled over until cooled down then drove home with heaters on full blast ..have started today left running but it's still overheating could it be the head gasket cracked ? I've no smoke out exhaust and no milky stuff in oil sorry for long explanation hoping someone on here could help

IanL

Re: Car loud noise is now overheating

Post by IanL »

The noise could be a bad weld in the exhaust system "blowing". When you drove away, the crack closed up so you couldn't hear it. But it could be something else. Get the exhaust system inspected.

I hope you topped up the low oil before driving to work.

Have you checked the coolant level in the header tank? If it's ok, try a new thermostat.