Overheating, but not sure if it’s the head gasket?

All your other probs if any.
Ado1379

Overheating, but not sure if it’s the head gasket?

Post by Ado1379 »

Hi guys. Got a Peugeot 206cc 2003 2.0 litre 16v.

Runs nicely after sorting the spark plugs and drive belt out. The car gets up to temperature lovely and sits at about 90 degrees for 5-6 minutes. Then it creeps up to 100degress and the fan kicks and bring it back down to 90. It will keep cycling through this and will never go above 100.

There is no steam out the exhaust, I’ve just changed the oil and it was the colour old oil should look like. No creamy deposits around the oil cap. And as far as I can tell there is no coolant loss and no bubbles.

I have changed the radiator as that was leaking anyway
I have changed the thermostat.

I was thinking water pump next but because of where it is I’m try to find out if there’s is anything else I can try first?

The backstory to buying this is that me and my dad are taking part in the Rust to Rome race. Basically you have £500 to drive from Edinburgh to Rome in 10 days. I am at the top end of my budget, but I’m very well mechanically minded (being an aircraft engineer) so can do most things myself in the garage.
Can anyone point me in a suitable direction or maybe there is a common problem I can look at first?

Thanks everyone in advance!

IanL

Re: Overheating, but not sure if it’s the head gasket?

Post by IanL »

Why do you think it is overheating? Are you getting an overheat warning? If not, it sounds like the system is working correctly. There may be a little air trapped in the cooling system which could result in the temperature gauge reading a little high - try more bleeding.

Ado1379

Post by Ado1379 »

I’m just used to cars only have the fan kicking in as a fail safe. Is this normal then?

IanL

Post by IanL »

I'm pretty sure it is normal. Depends on the ambient temperature and the flow of air due to motion, but on a warmish day when you are going slowly or stopped, I'd expect the fan to run.

Mine's a 1.6, so anyone with a 2.0 want to chime in?