Swapping lower arm - have to move subframe?

All your other probs if any.
artois7

Swapping lower arm - have to move subframe?

Post by artois7 »

Hi all,

Attempted to swap the nearside lower arm today. Managed to get it out of the hub no problem, but the bolts keeping it in to the subframe are too long. On one side it fouls the driveshaft and on the other it hits two brake lines.

As well as having a lovely new stain on my drive where the driveshaft slipped out and spilt gearbox oil, I'm a little stumped. I can't get the track rod end out due to it spinning (not enough room for mole grips, and pressure with a jack underneath isn't working), can't get the driveshaft out due to not having centreless wheels to get the hubnut off, and not really sure how to approach dropping the subframe!

Not seen any other guides anywhere that suggest you have to do this - any thoughts?

Capncol

Re: Swapping lower arm - have to move subframe?

Post by Capncol »

Not had to move subframe before. I will take a look at ours and get back to you tomorrow
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

artois7

Re: Swapping lower arm - have to move subframe?

Post by artois7 »

Hi all,

Incase anyone finds this on google:

Don't remove the lower balljoint before trying to take off the track rod end. You will waste time and have to put it back together!

1) Take track rod end off
2) Disconnect lower ball joint
3) Prepare for gearbox oil to go everywhere
4) Swear 'cause you forgot to do #3
5) with the track rod end off you can move the hub and shaft assembly out of the way to get the bolt out
6) wriggling the lower arm around will change the angle of the third bolt enough to slide it out.

No need to mess with the subframe!