Bonnet cable problem

All your other probs if any.
goltho

Bonnet cable problem

Post by goltho »

The bonnet pull became a little flimsy recently - by that I mean light to the pull - and the bonnet failed to open roughly one time in three. Yesterday, I couldn't get the bonnet open at all despite pulling carefully, then firmly, then took a chance and pulled very hard. Still nothing, so removed the mechanism from its pivot, unsnapped the lever with the cable nipple in it and pulled the cable just with the lever. The bonnet opened.

I managed to open it again three times whilst working on the car but it needed some effort and clearly it's not right. Do they stretch? Or does the bonnet latch give problems? Thanks.
Jan 2004 (53) 206cc/1.6L Allure/83k/black

IanL

Re: Bonnet cable problem

Post by IanL »

If its a Bowden cable, they can usually be fixed by unclipping the end at the catch, lifting it high and getting oil in between the cable and the outer. Get a helper to work the release lever while you do it. You need to get the oil to flow all the length of the cable, so spray is not as good as an old-fashioned oilcan.

You should also grease the catch mechanism.

However, reading your words "light to the pull", that suggests the cable has frayed and is hanging on by a few strands, so replacement might be a good idea.

goltho

Post by goltho »

It was in fact an almost-seized mechanism which after freeing off, now works perfectly. The cable is fine.

IanL

Post by IanL »

The lever mechanism in the cabin, or the catch mechanism under the bonnet?

goltho

Post by goltho »

IanL wrote:The lever mechanism in the cabin, or the catch mechanism under the bonnet?
Under the bonnet, sorry.