206 1.6 HDI - failing to start after service

All your other probs if any.
artois7

206 1.6 HDI - failing to start after service

Post by artois7 »

Hi all,

Signed up in a desperate plea for help!

Serviced a family member's 206cc (1.6 HDI) today, which was oil & filter, air filter, new thermostat and coolant. Upon restarting, the car started up OK and idled for 5-10 seconds then cut out, as if someone had turned the key. It now cranks solidly but no signs of life. Occasionally, there's a long harsh noise coming from the fuel pump after turning off the ignition.

I know nothing about diesels or really where to start with this - getting to the thermostat only requires one plug (IIRC) to be undone so I don't think it can be something left unplugged!

Going to go back tomorrow with a code reader, and will also check that the cam belt hasn't snapped or anything like that. Any ideas of what I could check?

Thanks in advance!

IanL

Re: 206 1.6 HDI - failing to start after service

Post by IanL »

First thing to do is the beep test. Switch off, leave the key in the ignition and open the driver's door. If you don't hear beeps, the immobiliser function is not recognising the key, and that will prevent starting.

If that is the case, the problem is NOT the battery in the keyfob - that is only used for remote lock/unlock. If you have a spare key, try that.

It could be that the BSI has "forgotten" the key. If that is the case, all the keys must be reprogrammed with Peugeot Planet (Lexia 3 interface and PC with software) at the same time, and the four-digit security code for the car (supplied on a card with the car) is required.

artois7

Post by artois7 »

Hi, thanks for the response. It does beep.

IanL

Post by IanL »

Perhaps air in the fuel line?

artois7

Post by artois7 »

Didn't touch anything to do with fuel lines.

Is there any way I can verify the key and immobiliser? It does beep when opening the door. It feels like it's getting no fuel, but squirting a bit of wd40 in to the turbo inlet doesn't make any difference, leading me to thinking it could be immobiliser.

IanL

Post by IanL »

Probably with Peugeot Planet.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Did you change fuel filter?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

artois7

Post by artois7 »

Hi all,

Turned out I had moved the fuel filter out of the way without realising it was a fuel filter, and introduced an airlock!

Attached a clear hose to the bottom of the filter, undid the drain valve, then primed and all is well! (sort of, see other posts)