Rear Struts or bearings

All your other probs if any.
GazWaz

Rear Struts or bearings

Post by GazWaz »

Good afternoon all,

We've just spent £800 on the front end of our 55 206cc 1.6 to get it through it's MOT but they never mentioned the rear end so I'm presuming it safe to drive??

However, I noticed that whenever we go over a big bump the rear end clonks quite loud and feels like it's bottoming out. I've read a lot of info on the rear bearing failure in the axle but not really sure I have the same symptoms.

I've jacked the rear up and both wheels are solid if I pull them back and fourth/side to side. There really is no movement there. I did notice though that the offside has been fouling the rear arch. You can see tyre marks on the inside of the arch and there's not a lot of room to get your hand behind.

Does this sound like a definite bearing issue or could it be the suspension strut has failed. I'm obviously hoping it's the strut for the obvious reason that they're cheap and easy to replace.

If it's the bearing, is it really not worth fitting the kit to replace them. I could source a recon axel but I don't fancy doing it myself and I'm struggling to justify pouring much more cash into this car.

I got the front done reluctantly but the car only has 50k on the clock and it's spotless inside and out.

What dya recon guys n galls.

If you need more info, gizza shout.

Cheers

Gaz

gazza82

Re: Rear Struts or bearings

Post by gazza82 »

Sounds like the bearing to me .. same problem we had on our CC. The first I noticed was when it was on the lift at the MOT station .. the rear wheels had a lot more negative camber that I remembered (the top leans inwards). When I got it home (The passed it!) I found the rear inner lining was worn. And a few weeks later it wore through completely and part of it came loose!

The problem with the CC rear axle is you can't remove it with the body strengthening rods that run to the boot "box" .. and they don't like to leave their comfy home easily. It's very easy to chew up the torx screw holes and then you are drilling or mole-gripping them to get them out. I'd been told heat is a useful way to try and get them to move ... otherwise buy shares in the company that makes PlusGas!!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz »

Thanks Gazza,

Yeh it's strange that this isn't an MOT failure. Ours was MOT'd only two months ago and the problem was there then. I'm sure it affects the stability as well because the car feels a bit 'wavy' round long fast corners.

Anyone know how my hours labor I'll get charged for this job. I'd probably buy a re-con axle and give it to the garage with the car and let them get on with it.

Cheers

Gaz

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

When ours was on the lift and wheels up there was no discernible play so it passed ... but when it was back on it's wheels and had rolled back a bit it was obvious ... to me as I could see it from the rear .. the MOT chap was then checking the front end and didn't see it from the angle I did.

:-)

On time, I'm not sure .. I think they quoted 4 1/2 hours .. but it could have taken longer as one wheel bearing destroyed itself so that held up putting it back together. Those strengthening bars also took time to remove and replace ... about four months later we part-ex'd it.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

it's quite an easy job to replace the axle beam. About 2.5-3hrs max
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz »

Hi Col,

I'm pretty handy with a hammer and I'd like to do the job myself but its all about access. I've only got a trolly jack and axle stands. I'm 48 and overweight and don't fancy rolling around on the drive way for hours. If it were a 3 to 4 hour job I could probably manage that though.

I'm not sure how it works mind. Would I expect a recon axle to come with bearings fitted.

Cheers Col

Gaz

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

They should come complete .. but you have to transfer the wheel hubs and brakes over to the new axle assembly though. It might be possible to do that without disconnecting the brake hoses and avoid having to bleed the brakes. Take care with the abs connectors and sensors.

Pre-soaking all the fasteners in plusgas each night a few days before can help.

That is where the wheel hub bearings could decide to not play ball .. as you draw the rear hubs off ..

(actually they do in a way .. they spread ball bearings all over the floor! :-) )

NB hub puller needed as well as new hub nuts! and a good torque wrench capable of 200Nm

I did think of trying to swap ours myself .. after reading the manual, forum posts and looking underneath, decided to let a garage do it as (a) they have more room on a lift and (b) our CC spent most of its life in Dundee Scotland .. and looked like it had spent most of that time in a large puddle ... the predominant colour under the rear end was "orange" .. in the end the two strengthening bars WERE a major problem and needed some surgery ..

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Can be done with trolley jack and stan ds. I can do it and I've got more than 10 years on you :D :D :D
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz »

Lol... I might just do this myself then. I'm pretty well tooled up but are there some female torx sockets required. That's probably the only thing I don't have.

Unless you want to come round and help me out Capncol??? :thumbs: lol.

Cheers guys.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

GazWaz wrote:Lol... I might just do this myself then. I'm pretty well tooled up but are there some female torx sockets required. That's probably the only thing I don't have.

Unless you want to come round and help me out Capncol??? :thumbs: lol.

Cheers guys.

The strengthening bar mounting bolts to the boot floor box are torx .. although likely to have rusted enough to jam a hex in there!

IIRC some of the bolts have torx heads .. !!

rhume

Post by rhume »

Having done the bearings the hard way (taking off arms not just getting a recon axle) I reckon the axle is a much better bet. I had 12 hrs of hammering with a mate to do it. You would be better off with two of you to do the axle if you have a handy friend.

You will probably have to heat the torx bolts and take it very steady with them as rounding them off is very easy. (we only managed to get 3 out of the 4 out that we wanted on torsion bars).

Have you got any squeaking from the axle ? I had no play in mine in the wheels but that was because the bearings were seized solid. Mind it sounded like a thousand rats were chasing me. :o

It had passed an MOT the month before I bought it???? :hmm:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find myself the owner of 2 silver Peugeots: 206cc Allure and a 4007 (7 seat 4x4)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

We had an mot like that when we bought ours ... dodgy as ****!

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz »

No squeaking or anything. Just feels like it bottoming out on big bumps

rhume

Post by rhume »

Sounds like the shock absorbers are shot.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find myself the owner of 2 silver Peugeots: 206cc Allure and a 4007 (7 seat 4x4)

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz »

I was wondering that myself. And hoping to be honest.

The struts do look a mess but so does everything else under there but I'm figuring if I'm going to change the axle I would want to put new struts on there while I'm under there so I'm going to do the struts first and see if it fixes it.

If not, recon axle it is. I'll let you know.