Rear Struts or bearings

All your other probs if any.
Slo

Re: Rear Struts or bearings

Post by Slo »

With the car on the ground you should be able to slide your fingers between the inside edge of the tire and the inner wing on each side at the back, easiest way to tell.

I've done an axle swap 3 years ago on my back with 2 trolley jacks and axle stands and it took me all day, you will definitely need heat and not just a simple blow torch either for those strengthener bar torx bolts and a T55 torx bit from halfords about 6 quid and a long breaker bar. After heating and just before you attempt to remove each one give em a good hard smack with a hefty lump hammer, they should come out easily then.

You can remove all the brake components without splitting the lines, handbrake cables can be a bloody nightmare to remove, and the abs sensors are more than likely to break when you try to remove them. I just replaced both cables and sensors about a tenner each on ebay.

I used imaxles, they were pretty fast at delivering and the axle will come looking like new however it will be an old one tarted up and here's where the problem lies. When you replace the bearings on the swinging arms the actual arm is also a bearing surface and they are often worn out too so even with new bearings you could be unlucky enough to still have play. My mot guy said he would advise it as he saw the old one and that I had gone to the trouble of replacing it but it should have really failed. You then ring imaxles and wrap the old axle up in plastic bin liners or something and they come and pick it up.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

GazWaz

Re: Rear Struts or bearings

Post by GazWaz »

Just an update too all,

I've fitted new rear struts. I was hopeful this would solve the issue because the old ones would compress but they didn't return so they needed replacing anyway.

Took it for a spin and no different really. Still bottoms out and I really can't get my hand behind the wheel on the offside rear so I think I have enough evidence to be replacing the axle.

I can get a recon axle for just over £200 and I've had two quotes for a garage to fit it for me. 1st quote was £500 :lol: :hyper: . Second quote was £140. Possibly a bit more depending if the break lines or cylinders fall to pieces when they swap them over.

Needless to say, I'm going with the second quote. I know the garage and they've done a good job in the past. I was going to do it myself but even doing doing the struts on axle stands was a mare. The nuts were really tight and I could only move them half turn at a time due to lack of space.

For the price I just want it doing. They recon about 4 hours.

Thanks all for your help on this though. I love this little motor and in the summer it comes into it's own for obvious reasons so I want to keep it going for as long as I can.

Gaz