Variable Steering Wheel Stiffness - New Pump

All your other probs if any.
Alecossy

Variable Steering Wheel Stiffness - New Pump

Post by Alecossy »

Hello forum!
I come to you, today, with a question about power steering and the strength needed to steer your 206cc in different climatic conditions. Before that, though, let's try to contextualize the whole thing.

For the last year or so, my pug had trouble steering. I had the shocks replaced (all four), switched to new tires, drained, refilled, and bled my PSS, and had it checked at a local shop. I eventually noticed that the pump also needed to be replaced, which is why I bought a factory-new one and installed it a couple of weekends ago. The job was easy enough to do at home and the car performed admirably for the next two or three days.

Still, the steering wheel feels somewhat weird at times. When the car's been sitting in the sun all day, for instance, the entire system is a lot stiffer than what you'd expect. On the contrary, if I manage to find a parking spot that's not as hot, I might only need a finger to turn the wheels.

My question is: I had an ancillary belt snap on me a couple of years ago and I know what it feels like to drive without PS, so I can say for certain that the system isn't completely dead; still, what do you think could be causing the problem? In fact, is this an issue at all/has it happened to you?
Proud owner of a 2002 1.6 80 KW Black 206 cc (my little baby)

Slo

Re: Variable Steering Wheel Stiffness - New Pump

Post by Slo »

I've not had this problem with my 206 but I had a 605 with variable power steering for years that used to do exactly what you described.

This is almost certainly down to the rack itself or the pinion part where the magic happens anyway. It contains a very complex system of clever valves and seals that can wear out.

Is your ps fluid clean/red or is it dirty black/grey

Do you know if your car has variable power steering or not? Post your vin number or pm it and I or anyone else can check for you.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Don't think 206's had variable steering ...
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Slo

Post by Slo »

Yes it was an option, i've just bought a 2003 2.0 16v thats got it and my 2002 2.0 thats now off the road permanently has it too. However the OP seems to have a 1.6 and i'm not sure about that spec.
Untitled-1.jpg
I mentioned it because the OP has driven it with a broken drive belt which will have placed hydraulic pressure on the rack pinion seals without the pump pumping fluid through it, it doesn't just go heavy because it's a heavy car, it works in reverse without the pump and the rack in use will push and suck the fluid through it, this is far from ideal for the pinion seals.

Looking at the 1.6 section for the 206 cc brings up unvariable power steering but the the reason for the issue will more than likely be the same, especially after a new pump as there isn't anything else to go wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

Alecossy

Post by Alecossy »

Hey Slo, thanks for the load of information you were able to send my way.

I've had my mechanic check the fluid and they said it was okay. I'd describe it as red with a hint of brown. As for driving the car without the belt, I only took it from the place where it broke down to the shop. Still, that might have caused some problems.

I'm unsure about whether this particular car has variable power-steering but here's the VIN if you want to take a look and let me know: VF32DNFUF42324471.

Now for the big question: is this something I should address ASAP? I've had the car for about three years and already had to do, in order: a new water pump/timing belt (as soon as I bought it), both rear windows, new AC compressor, new clutch, the shocks, news seals for both axles, and replace the crankshaft pulley.

I'm now planning to find a new engine and just slap it in there for good measure (since the one I currently have on has 140.000+ KMs on the clock) so I might just wait for that moment and ask the shop to add a new rack while they're at it.

IanL

Post by IanL »

From Service Box:

STEERING
UNVARIABLE POWER STEERING

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

It is properly bled? It may take time for all the air to get out if it has been drained.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Alecossy

Post by Alecossy »

Hey again!
Sorry for the delay, had a few days off so I decided to join the gf in the mountains. The car performed a lot better than I expected, to be honest.

As for the fact some air might still be in the circuit, I guess I'll wait and see if things change for the better. The issue's only a minor nuisance for now and I'm pretty sure I can live with it! At least for a while!